How many mAh? Looking to standardize my LIPOs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepOvertone

Reaction score
Need help from the rocket knowledge hive-mind. Manufacturers feel free to chime in as well.

I'm looking to order a handful of same size lipo batteries so I don't have to keep re-designing my altimeter mounts every time I buy a new battery(amazon seems to never keep the same ones around for long). That being said, I'd like to know what people think is the best all-around capacity in mAh to get. I dont plan to fly anything less than a 2.6" rocket with F-G motors, so size and weight aren't huge concerns but I dont want to go huge either. I was thinking 450mAh would be enough for just about everything I do. I also plan on starting my L3 project soon so I want to be sure that I have enough capacity to sit on the pad for quite a while without having to worry if they are going dead. I want peace of mind but not overkill either. Opinions?

You never mentioned 1S or 2S. Lipos are cheap, easy, readily available, reliable, and 'standardized' enough thanks to the hobby drone flyers/suppliers that you can easily standardize on a few sizes. There's a few safety caveats, and a learning curve to the charge and care, but once you grasp those issues, it's all good.

These are the batteries that I use and see other using most often at the field:

This one powers my RTX for days. Once you discover the inverse tracker law, you'll never fly without one:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...-lipo-pack-fits-nine-eagles-solo-pro-180.html
This one powers nearly every single flight computer I use. Each flight, including prep, pad time, flight, and the recovery walk back to the truck is usually well less than 10mah recharged. A single charge is MORE than enough for 3-5 flights in a day. Bonus is that 2 of these things fit side by side in a 9v holder! I've had this battery sit for over an hour pad time at Red Glare......never any issues at all.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-300mah-2s-35-70c-lipo-pack.html
I use this one for 1S applications where space/weight is a concern:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-600mah-1s-25c-lipo-pack-w-walkera.html
I use this one for truly small packages:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...975&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Last edited:
These are the batteries that I use and see other using most often at the field:

This one powers my RTX for days:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...-lipo-pack-fits-nine-eagles-solo-pro-180.html
This one powers nearly every single flight computer I use. Each flight, including prep, pad time, flight, and the recovery walk back to the truck is less than 10mah recharged. A single charge is MORE than enough for 3-5 flights in a day. Bonus is that 2 of these things fit side by side in a 9v holder!
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-300mah-2s-35-70c-lipo-pack.html
I use this one for 1S applications where space/weight is a concern:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-600mah-1s-25c-lipo-pack-w-walkera.html
I use this one for truly small packages:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...975&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Thats a buch of good info. Looks like 300mAh is enough for you. Does everyone else concur?

Just to add a little more info, the altimeters I currently own are: PF Stratologger CF, MW RRC2+, ET Proton, ET Quark, ET Quantum, ET Apogee(I have 1S batts for these).

Thats a buch of good info. Looks like 300mAh is enough for you. Does everyone else concur?

Just to add a little more info, the altimeters I currently own are: PF Stratologger CF, MW RRC2+, ET Proton, ET Quark, ET Quantum, ET Apogee(I have 1S batts for these).

I'll add that I use those batteries in Stratologgers, all the MW products, all the Egg products, and my small but growing selection of Altus products. If I had to change any 1 thing, it would be to have standardized on Deans Micro battery connectors 0800 day 1.

I'd not be happy with 300mah on an ET proton. But this depends on your flight time as well as the pace your group fly's at. Personally, I want anything with wifi chips to have at least 600mah or more and trackers I try to do at least 1000mah unless it's a flight designed for max altitude at blackrock. Then I select battery for 3 hours of run time based on testing and call it at that.

I use the 300mAh Turnigy - but I tend to have time for only one flight per rocket/day. And 10k waiver, so not long recoveries. With Eggtimer Quarks, Quantums, Protons, and Eggfinders.
Cris recommends a bit bigger, but the 300s have served me well, and the Turnigy brand has been a -lot- more reliable than the Venom.
I do get the 45-90C version when I can find it. It does a better job with the Estes PS igniters and my hot wire cutter.

Thanks everybody. My club is smaller than most so I will typically only sit on the pad for less than 30 mins. I also dont fly very high so long recovery isn't usually an issue. I do plan on flying to 10K for my L3. The two altimeters will have their own battery(300-450) and the tracker(ET tx mini) will most likely have at least an 800. Seems like that's plenty for just about everything except for maybe the proton?? I'll check with the support documents on the proton and inquire with Cris if I'm not finding the info on that one. Although, I may not even fly that altimeter since I've been having some issues with it.

I fly the Proton with a 300 all the time. And I also fly at the start of the day, so 30-45 min working through the checklist from power on to launch. No problems with the Proton lasting through recovery.

Even though I fly with an Eggfinder Mini, I’ve taken to carrying a toy parabolic mic during the recovery walk. It picked up the Proton chirping out the apogee about 200’ away.

A big reason I like that 300mAh Turnigy is that it and either a Quark or an Eggfinder Mini fit inside the Estes 18-24mm clamshell motor adapter. It makes for an easy/compact nosecone avbay with some BT50 and a 24mm threaded motor retainer. Which I print, but are purchasable.

2S 400mAh 40C for Eggfinder Mini, Quark, Quantum, MAWD or ARTS2 (yes, I still have them and fly as backup to newer stuff). 2S 1000mAh 40C for Proton, Eggfinder TX or TRS. 4S 5200 mAh 60C for my own launch pad via relay. I have a 2S 6000 mAh 30C if I think I'm going to be flying a crazy flight that may take time (days) to find and use that on a TX or TRS. I have a Parrot with it's own 1S battery and a Raven with it's own battery but I haven't used either of them much lately.

Years ago I had just 2 or 3 altimeters and moved them between rockets. With the cost and ability of the Eggtimer stuff, I've started just buying a device and battery for that rocket and never move them. I don't have to worry about standardizing too much, as long as the battery will work for purpose and uses connectors I already have, then I go with that.

My collection varies on the altimeter/tracking system I am using. Anything with wifi gets a minimum of 2S 500 mAh as long as it fits. All my Perfect Flite gets a 2S-180 mAh per recommendation from Peter. All my AltusMetrum stuff gets 1S 850mAh but have to use the 450mAh on smaller projects. And the good old Raven gets a 1S-160mAh lipo.

The Proton can be set up to run on dual batteries, so you could go with two 300mAh units

I have zero experience with doing that but just thought it’s worth mentioning

The Proton can be set up to run on dual batteries, so you could go with two 300mAh units

I have zero experience with doing that but just thought it’s worth mentioning
So can the Quantum. But the pyro charges just don’t take that much power. I think it comes down to how long you anticipate your rocket sitting in the flight line waiting for launch - with the WiFi running.

Back