How many jelly beans in that jar? - my reorganization effort

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife went to visit her sister for a week. In a previous thread I had asked the question whether I should build or organize...

I knew my inventory spreadsheet had errors, so I decided to do some reorganization of my kits - set up tubs by vendors, put duplicates into other tubs, etc.

But to do this I had to empty the existing tubs.

And while I had the rockets out I decided a "family portrait" was required.

Which then reminded me of the old contest - how many jelly beans are in the jar???
Or in my case - how rocket kits are in my "build pile"??????

Any guesses? And the pile/count does NOT include parts for future scratch builds - just my kits.

2016 Kit Collection.jpg

Note - if you look carefully, you will see the pile is blocking the doorway. I was literally trapped in my basement until I had reorganized things to clear a path .... :facepalm:

Maybe this answers the question - can you have too many kits??? Maybe not
I just hope the vendors take it easy on the Black Friday specials........

Last edited:
LOL...next time my wife gives me grief...I'm gonna show her this picture.

I just need to make sure MY wife doesn't see it - fortunately she does not see this forum
And I did it while she was out of town..... :wink:

188 kits.

That is a bit over the top. I believe you should consider skipping Black Friday sales- at least as far as kits. Buy motors- lots of motors...

my guess is 517

Your real challenge is to thin the herd a bit or your wife might be moving in with her sister.

How long did it take to accumulate all those kits?

215, I vote for closest to the pin, gets choice of a kit!!

What a collection.

188 kits.

That is a bit over the top. I believe you should consider skipping Black Friday sales- at least as far as kits. Buy motors- lots of motors...

Actually, I have slowed on purchases from Black Friday. There are certain types of kits I prefer and I'm finding I have most of those type already
It's just when vendors come out with something new when temptation strikes.... and the will power is low.....

I remember talking to one vendor, asking him if he had tallies on who bought the most of his kits. He said no, but he did have one gentleman who would buy two of each kit when a new kit came out.. (I wish I did that with Fliskits!!)

Additional information that I dug out of my updated spreadsheet

I have rockets from 55 different manufacturers. (If I counted my completed rockets it would be 57 companies - but that will be a different inventory).
And I did not count myself as a "manufacturer" for my scratch kits....

Contributions from the different companies range from just 1 kit to a particular company that has two E and two S letters in its name :wink:.
That one company alone "contributed" 244 kits to the pile.

I think it's an addiction.....

But a fun one. Positive thoughts - I'll be set when I retire!

So 244 from Estes alone. That pile is more layered than I thought it was.

I'll just add my original guess to that. 361?

I don't feel quite as bad about my build pile now :) Wow seriously good collection there!

2030 Yes that's what I said... 2030

If you don't buy any more kits...
If you start building kits tomorrow...
If you spend an average of ten days to complete each kit. (Average 10-day build time to do a nice job, includes paint and decals, and takes into consideration you have a job and other interests.)

It will be the year 2030 when you are done! :)

2030 Yes that's what I said... 2030

If you don't buy any more kits...
If you start building kits tomorrow...
If you spend an average of ten days to complete each kit. (Average 10-day build time to do a nice job, includes paint and decals, and takes into consideration you have a job and other interests.)

It will be the year 2030 when you are done! :)

Really, if you think about it, 2016 is nearly over. So from 2017 to 2030 is only 13 years.
My collection took over 18 years to accumulate - 13 years to complete it really isn't bad

And - I've done building binges in the past. I got 9 built in a month (and 3 were Trident variants with 9 nose cones each - see https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?63651-Wife-s-away-I-get-to-play!-Rocket-builds.

While a section was drying on one model I worked another. When that model needed a section to dry I worked a third. Etc.

But I doubt I will be able to sustain a build rate of 1 every 10 days....
Although once I retire I'll also have more time for building!

Last edited:
I just think it's great that you trapped yourself with the rockets!
What a great moment of realization that must of been!

Back