how many aH in a 9v battery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Hey all. Just wondering because I couldn't find the information on my 9v battery (those small rectangular ones). Does anyone know the aH in one of these tiny batteries? I've got a bunch lying around!
Thanks.

Different types of batteries have different ratings/capacities. Two types of 9 V batteries I've used are NiMH and NiCd. The NiMHs are rated at 160 mAh (.16 Ah) and the NiCds are 120 mAh as conviently printed on the battery. Standard Alkaline batteries have similar ratings.
These ratings are not particulary useful when considering high-current applications (i.e., motor/deployment e-matches). The internal resistance limits battery performance in these cases and NiCads are usually preferred.
As I've found out, a freshly charged or new battery is really a good idea for electronic deployment apps, regardless if Ah ratings.

An alkaline 9V is about 650 mAh but cannot provide as much current as the rechargable ones. Your electronics will run longer but the current to igniters is less (unless the current is limited by the electronics).

Back