How long till the first Pokemon-Go-related death?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long till the first death caused by Pokemon Go?

• There's already been one; where have you been?

• I give it a week.

• Definitely within a month.

• Never. People aren't that stupid!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
With this new cell phone game sweeping the nation, how long will it be until we learn of the first related death? People are playing while driving, walking down busy streets, etc. Already, two people have been shot at because they were playing outside some dude's house.

With this new cell phone game sweeping the nation, how long will it be until we learn of the first related death? People are playing while driving, walking down busy streets, etc. Already, two people have been shot at because they were playing outside some dude's house.

I had no idea what it was, so I googled it and found the official site.
I watched about a minute or so of the "Trailer", and I think it "Leveled Down" my I.Q. a few points.:puke::(

I think you are about a week late, there is at least one death already reported.

I nearly caused one yesterday. Three kids with their noses buried in their cell phones walked right into the street in front of me. They were completely oblivious to the real world around them.

Please post links. I cannot find any confirmation that anyone has died. Two teens were shot at but missed. Two young men fell off a cliff and were hospitalized, but did not die.

Just llike many other things in this world, the game itself is not the problem, if anything, it is just a catalyst.
Most people are predisposed to doing stupid things. The medical, police, etc, systems that we have in place help to 'repair' these people where in the past natural selection would have taken them out.

Pokemon Go is a game, just like many others. The stupidity is provided by some of the players.

It sure does seem to be creating a class of zombies. A friend took his dog to the park this weekend, and not only did one player trip over his dog but he witnessed several other people walking into random things like trees and a lake. :p

Here's a video to show you how crazy it can be when a rare pokemon is spotted in Central Park:

[video=youtube;SDsiJCQSmvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDsiJCQSmvk[/video]

Disclaimer: My family has started playing this game a few days ago (I have a young daughter and I used to watch the cartoon like 20 years ago while doing morning workouts). At least this game gets kids outside walking and socializing. Unfortunately the way it is set up, people can get a bit crazy trying to find the stuff...worse than when texting was getting out of hand. Hopefully they will make some change to get it a bit less "zombiefying" and frantic.

When a Pokemon Go player dies, what happens to all his captured Pokemon? Do they just return to the wild? Maybe players have already died and the captured Pokemon ate the bodies.

Newsflash: people still people, latest fad blamed. YOU could be next, find out at 11.

Last edited:
I nearly caused one yesterday. Three kids with their noses buried in their cell phones walked right into the street in front of me. They were completely oblivious to the real world around them.

Next time open your door, you should get them.

Actually just this morning I was wondering how long before someone creates a thread about Pokemon Go. :wink:

I wonder if we could launch rockets and find some up at elevation.....

So, the good thing about the game is it gets kids out and about more actively than sedentary games.

However, there are already site about how to cheat at the "active" part by putting your cell phone on a turntable and spin it, to rack up the activity to allow the eggs to hatch... Sigh.

I've banned my kids from playing this thing.

A death, not sure if it is the first:

https://nationalreport.net/teen-killed-trespassing-while-playing-pokemon-go/

Yeah, but how many kid actually know what a "turntable" is let alone have access to one without using the microwave ?

FWIW I saw a video which noted that there were reports of deaths by Pokemon Go which were false and the fake stories included: stabbing a brother, shot a trespasser and a major accident in MA.

On the other hand, my local paper recently had an article about the stupidity and here are some excerpts:

"
The problem is these stupid folks are walking around busy streets with their heads down and eyes glued to the screens, so focused on trying to capture these imaginary stupid things that they’re doing real stupid things:
* A 26-year-old Michigan man with a warrant for his arrest showed up at a Detroit-area police station wearing pajama pants while playing Pokemon Go.
* A 28-year-old guy crashed his brother’s car into a tree near the Finger Lakes while playing Pokemon Go on his phone. The guy broke his ankle and cut his legs. The car was totaled.
* German police arrested an 18-year-old man who was wanted for evading a prison sentence after he went out to play Pokemon Go with friends. He’s now serving six months.
* Two guys in their early 20s playing Pokemon Go fell off an ocean bluff in Southern California. Firefighters said the men climbed through a fence. One fell about 50 feet down the side of the unstable bluff and the other fell about 90 feet to the beach. Both had moderate injuries.
* Two Pokemon Go players were arrested for criminal trespassing at the Toledo Zoo after police said the two went over a fence near the tiger enclosure in search of cartoon monsters.
"

Sounds like not only is PGO good for exercise, but also life lessons; like literally every other hobby that gets you outside around other people.

I don't play. And I also think it's gotten a little silly. But may I suggest...there are people who think the old farts tromping through weeds searching for paper and balsa toy rockets look pretty silly too. We are all characters in someone else's cautionary tale about fools....

[SIZE=-1]AUTHOR:[/SIZE]Socrates (469–399 [SIZE=-1]B.C.[/SIZE])
[SIZE=-1]QUOTATION:[/SIZE]The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
[SIZE=-1]ATTRIBUTION:[/SIZE]Attributed to [SIZE=-1]SOCRATES[/SIZE] by Plato, according to William L. Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277 (1953).

I found that one via Google also, but it turns out the National Report is a satire site. See https://nationalreport.net/disclaimer/. "All news articles contained within National Report are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental." So they're just predicting what this poll is predicting. :wink:

Ah!! Very good. Relieved to here the tragedy is false. I should have checked more closely.

* A 28-year-old guy crashed his brother’s car into a tree near the Finger Lakes while playing Pokemon Go on his phone. The guy broke his ankle and cut his legs. The car was totaled.

I wonder if that was Bill Clune.... :lol:

Back