How I fold an X-Form

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardw

Reaction score
Here is how I fold my X-Form chutes. When folding any chute I try and keep the material thickness the same all around so it rolls nicely. i also try to keep it to a nice width. This chute in the following pictures is a 58-60" chute. The tape across it measures 58, but that's because I went overboard with the hems. The widths on the panels vary from 18-20".

Here is the chute laid out fully open.

I then fold the right side to the 1/2 way point. I eyeball it and correct later.

I do the same with the left side, meeting the right side in the middle. I keep it as flat as possible. Here, the fabric is of equal thickness everywhere.

Here I fold the little triangle down on the main rectangle. I just like nice things to fold like this. If the triangle were still there and not folded it would just bug me.

Now I fold the right side over onto the left side, folding at the point where the two sides meet.

I now insert a dowel and fold in 1/2 towards me. With using a dowel I really like a helper or a couple sturdy objects. I prefer a helper because they are an extra set of hands to help keep everything going good.

Now I just flip the parachute over so that all the loose ends are facing me.

Here I use the supports between my desk to tension the parachute as I roll towards it. Keep it nice and tight and it will turn out good.

Here is the chute in a 2.14 body tube. It's a little too big for a 38mm tube. The fit is very loose and it takes up 10.5" of space. As you can see it's a very loose fit. A nomex or kevlar protector and this would be a nice setup.

Now, this isn't *the way* to fold an X-Form. It's simply my way to fold it and I have had great success with it. I'm open to suggestions from other people on how they fold their X-Forms and tips and tricks!

HTH,

Edward

Back