How far do you have to drive!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who thinks it will shred and who thinks I should try.

• Shred ; Try it

• No Shred ; Try it

• Shred ; Dont try

• No Shred ; Dont try

• Shred ; Try it

• No Shred ; Try it

• Shred ; Dont try

• No Shred ; Dont try

Results are only viewable after voting.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Okay, before I start venting about my latest pet peeve, how far do you usually drive to get to your favorite Hobby Store that carry your rocketry items.

Please take the poll.
Thanks!:mad:

a) I can't drive

&

b) There arn't any hobby shops carrying rockets (I've found) in the whole of the UK.

So, everythings online (motors, kits, componants, etc). The only things my local craft shop sells are paint, glue & knives.

cyder,

I found one in London's Primrose Hill area walking distance from my sisters flat.

But really...I am very thankful for the internet...and 800 phone numbers...and PayPal...and credit cards...

sandman

So the other day I stopped by my mom's house to see if she needed anything and she had pinned an ad of a hobby shop on her bullitin board. As I started to read it, i relaized it was only about 15 min away. Since the ad listed rockets as one of thier speciality items, I all but flew out the door. I went home, made a list and hit the road.

I pull into the plaza and up to the front of the store. Hmmm. doesn't look that big...but oh well maybe it's real deep! Open the door and it's wall to wall RC cars. "Where is your rocketry section." I asked the guy leaning on the counter. "The Rocketry section is through there", he pointed to the small door aside the counter, "if you don't see something, we can usually get it." Well you know what that means. I walked through the door and was never so disappointed. The "section" he referred to was 4 feet high and 3 feet wide. But that's not the half of it. Everything was incredibly over-priced. His motor selection was really old and to give you an idea how expensive everything was check this out. A pack of B6-0's was 9.85....without tax! He had a Black Brandt for 22.00!! A pack of E-9's was 16.95!!:confused: :confused:

I understand there might not have been alot of turnover here but it really left me kinda P.O.'d:kill:

Originally posted by sandman
I found one in London's Primrose Hill area
Lol - I stand corrected - change my vote to 2hrs or more. :)

"I bought it in Primrose Hill from a bloke from Brazil" - who can be first to tell me the name of the band, and the name of the tune. :D

Seriously, though, those motors are even more expensive than they are over here! :eek: At least you didn't have to go too far to find that out.

$10 for B6-anything is way overpriced! but E9s do actually list for $18, so $17 is a "deal".

want to make him an offer on the whole pile of loot, say $0.50 on the dollar? sometimes the owner will go for it. that's how I got a set of AT 18/24/29 hardware plus a bunch of dusty reloads for $100.

we have 3 hobby shops within 20 minutes drive. two are just so-so, half an isle, one is eye-popping.

I have 3 hobby shops and a Ben Franklin all within 20 minutes of my house that carry Estes/Quest model rocket kits and supplies.

But, like Sandman said thank goodness for PayPal and online vendors for all of my mid-power, high-power and non-Estes/Quest rocketry needs.

The closest stores that sell rockets near me only carry a small variety of Estes and Quest kits, and overcharge terribly for them, so the 45-minute drive isn't that great. Our club president, Andy Woerner, has a small shop that he runs out of his home/trailer/garage/anysparecornerhecanfind, but you need to call before you head over there, so it's not really a "store." He keeps it pretty well stocked, however, and brings most of it out to all our launches, so that's when I do most of my shopping.

WW

For a hobby shop its a good 1-1/2 hours away. I can get estes motors at Walmart and Hobby Lobby a half hour away. Most of the other stuff I get online. We use to have a Hobby Shop within half an hour.......Larry

A hobby shop with a fairly large rocet section is only a 10 minute drive for me. Less time if I shift out of first gear :D

I voted 21-45 minutes, but that's to a Hobby Lobby. If I want to go to a real hobby store, I have a choice, 2.5 hours to Nashville, 3 hours to St. Louis, 3 hours to Memphis. But, the best shops I've been in (for rockets), were 6-8 hours away, Al's, and one in Milwaukee (can't remember the name, Green something or another).

I guess I am real lucky then! I have two hoby shops that are a relatively short bike ride away (read: less than three miles), one that's a long bike ride, short drive (about 6 miles) away that is my source for epoxy, fiberglass, foam, mixing cups, other MPR-HPR stuff (read: RC Airplane stuff ;) ). Then there's another one that would be a day trip on a bike, a 30 minute ride in the car that doesn't carry much rocket stuff, but was one of my first hobby shops. Their store used to be HUGE, and they had these monster rockets (read: Mean Machine) hanging on the wall. Yeah, so, I was eight. Whaddya expect!? LOL!

Jason

well, for *hobby* related construction material, I have 2 shops within 20 min and a 3rd about 40 min away...

...for *rocketry* related material, well... :D :D :D

if I walk **REAL** slow... about a minute and a half... :D :D

Originally posted by jflis
well, for *hobby* related construction material, I have 2 shops within 20 min and a 3rd about 40 min away...

...for *rocketry* related material, well... :D :D :D

if I walk **REAL** slow... about a minute and a half... :D :D

With all those dogs you have... I would imagine that it will take you longer to get to point A to Point B....

Dogs can sense when youare happy. And when you are happy, they are happy. And I know working with rocket stuff makes you happy :D

I'm in the same boat as Jason. Over on my side of the Bay I have a hobby shop that is about 2.5 miles away. They carry a full line of Estes parts, kits, and motors. They *don't* however, carry the E9 series. :( Whenever I need tubes and misc. Estes nosecones, I usually buy one or two there just to keep their inventory moving. If I have to stock up on motors, I make sure I buy at *least* 3 of 10 packs there. Apparently, there are a handful of rocketeers that shop there which is welcoming news. But, in support of the local vendor and of this great hobby, I like to spread the wealth locally.

I'd also say that there are 5 other hobby shops within 45 minutes of my place. Yep, I'd say I'm lucky! (2 of them carry Aerotech motors!)

Originally posted by flying_silverad
how far do you usually drive to get to your favorite Hobby Store that carry your rocketry items.

For me, it's a hour and a half....... I usually buy my stuff from the on-site vendor (Performance Hobbies) or buy on-line......

There is a place I've heard of. It has motors, and kits, and airframes up to and including PML 11.4" tubes in stock, and a lady who knows what she's doing when she sells the stuff. I haven't been there myself yet, but I've heard great things. By my math it'd take about four hours to drive there, plus border lineup.

Aaaaand I think I'm going there in a week or two. :)

4 minutes by car - 3 miles on country roads.

I've contacted other companies in the hopes they will have her carry their products, among them is Jim here, and 2 Ohio based companies - LOC and Magnum. When I first went in there, she had few rockets, but a fair amount of motors. Now, she has a larger supply, and hopefully a few more companies will be using her as a dealer soon.

All this is because she has offered to sponsor my bid to get a local Rocketry Club going, and we'll get discounts if it all works out. *crosses fingers*

Yes, she is overpriced on kits, BUT I can see why since she's in the Mall and they al have to pay through the roof for rent.

Her prices on motors is about 2 bucks higher than Walmart, but shes saving me money when I order the Saturn V, and the Alumilite kits and supplies, plus her prices on tools and paint is very good.

My favorite is Johnny's Toys in Latonia, a fifteen minute drive if I don't pedal hard. The kit selection isn't anything out of the ordinary, all Estes, mostly boring, but the prices are great. The engine selection is both complete and very reasonable, quite honestly the best I've ever encountered. (That includes Wal-Mart and Meijer.) I haven't been there since before Christmas so I'm about due. Maybe I'll luck out and find that they're stocking the Renegade and Outlander.

All of my possibilities, including a Hobby Lobby or Michaels, are an hour or more away. :mad:

I live in BFE............

:kill:

20- 30 minutes to a hobbytown or a RC hobby store that carries rockets. The best in the area is supposed to be All Hobbies, about an hour to an hour and a half away depending on traffic. I haven't made it down there to check it out yet - but it looks pretty good:

All Hobbies

Originally posted by cydermaster
a) I can't drive

&

b) There arn't any hobby shops carrying rockets (I've found) in the whole of the UK.

So, everythings online (motors, kits, componants, etc). The only things my local craft shop sells are paint, glue & knives.

I found one today :)
It carries 2 Starter sets and two Skywriter "Launchables". I asked how much motors were and he said £8.99 for a 3 pack :eek::eek:.

Phil

Well I walk past the nearest hobby shop twice a day! Rocketry isn't up to much just a few starter sets and a parachute, but they have a good stock of motors at reasonable prices. Very good for other building supplies too.

Most of my stuff comes online though.

Originally posted by cydermaster
Lol - I stand corrected - change my vote to 2hrs or more. :)

"I bought it in Primrose Hill from a bloke from Brazil" - who can be first to tell me the name of the band, and the name of the tune. :D

To easy cyder...That would be madness and I've been driving in my car...
I once changed the words into a song about flying and i think that line went

"i fly at 200ft,scare the **** out of sheep":eek: I'll stick to the day job

I have been doing most of my shopping online. For midpower stuff I have to drive about 40 minutes to Great Lakes Hobbies.

Weekends

I have a hobby shop about 15 min away that carries probably 6 Estes kits at a time, a few motors(overpriced), no parts, & has no interest. There is a craft/ variety store across from the hobby shop that carries a fair amount of Estes stuff & a little better prices on motors. Total display area about 15 - 20 sf.
To get to a shop that has basic parts(ie. couplers, launch lugs, body tubes) as well as a good selection of Estes rockets & motors, & has Arotech motors I have to drive to Anchorage. A three- four hour drive(depending on weather & tourists) each way.
As my kids & I get all the local Estes stuff bought up & built (we're about there) it's time to start hitting Fliskits & Thrustareo.

Well, being an English major, I had to deisect the question, in order to reply to it!! :p

How long do I need to drive to get to my favorite hobby shop ?

Within a 20 mile radius there is a Michaels nearby (poor selection, high prices) a Hobby Town. (Poorer selection except for motors, but even higher prices), 2 Hobby shops with poor selections and high prices, and a new shop that at least tells me that they will be stocking up 'soon'.

But... my favorite hobby shop for rockets is Zeppelin Hobbies, in northern NJ. It is a 2.5 hr drive, but is worth every minute. The owner is a high power enthusiast, so he stocks EVERYTHING. ESTES, QUEST, Aerotech, Fliskits, Starlight, kits, parts, motors, and even books!!

Back