How does one remove vinyl decals without lifting paint off...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeltaVee

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I screwed up. I carefully measured where I wanted to place a vinyl decal roll pattern, and then, somehow, with a ruler only 6" long, marked the tube 8" from the end and placed the darn thing WAY TOO FAR down the tube.... while handling a small decal, an attempt to reposition that one lifed paint off the rocket. The roll pattern is MUCH larger.... I don't mind if I destroy it if I take it off... but if lift paint it becomes a nightmare. Does anyone out there have any experience with getting away with this sort of stunt? I can imagine lifting it a bit at a time and using some kind of solvent (preferably one that does not dissolve Rusto-2x) but I dont know if that even has a chance of working.

Is this reasonably possible or am I totally borked?

You may be able to use some of the vinyl setting cleaners for this. I haven't (for this purpose), but you may be able to spray it down (obviously not saturating cardboard), and work it, carefully, off.

The setting cleaner I've used is Rapid Tac. It may loosen the edges and if you can keep the decal damp as you peel, you may be able to peel it without it taking off too much. I expect something like windex would work about the same.

I've not had very good luck removing them. If the decal is over an area that has filler and wasn't scrupulously cleaned and roughed up, I've had the decals pull paint, especially from spiral grooves and fillets.

Heat would be my suggestion too. I give few second shot with a butane torch. You have to be careful you don't bubble the paint. Just a couple of fanning passes. Then they are pliable and can be peeled off.

Isopropyl alcohol will turn the glue gooey without attacking the paint(probably) But first you need to get an edge up to make the glue reachable. Apply with a small paintbrush at the interface. Heat will assist. The damage you'll do depends on how well cured your paint is and what the tube material is. Take your time and pull gently. If you can roll the vinyl around a dowel once it starts to pull up and then roll the dowel with the vinyl off. This could be difficult on a round surface. I used to do my company vehicle graphics. Of course the paint was cured and the door panel was metal. YMMV.
Good luck.

To remove labels on just about any household product, I've had great success with lighter fluid. But I've never tried it with vinyl decals on Rusto-2x paint. I would but I can't garantee it works (yet). I speculate it's naphta-based.

Goo Gone? Paint the edges with it, gently peel, reapply as needed. Heat should help too. I find that pulling up labels at a 90 degree angle gives me the least residue and failure of the label.

FWIW, I have vinyl wrapped several bicycles, and stripped at least one of them.

I always pull decals back against itself tight against the surface, instead of just pulling up. It mostly depends on how well the paint adhesion is on whether it will lift or not.

Heat gun on low setting or hair dryer will work…pull a little at a time after the vinyl is warm. It really depends on how good you primed and cured the paint below if any paint will come off. As others have already said….
I have removed adhesive vinyl from semi gloss walls before.

Putting heat to any paint that is not catalyzed or has been through a baking process is not a good idea.
You'll bubble it unless you are Brain Surgeon Careful.
Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.
Comes in a Red and White rectangle quart can.
Read the instructions on the can.

Google remove bumper stickers. You will get many useful ideas.

Google remove bumper stickers. You will get many useful ideas.

To the OP,

Automotive paint is very different from the average "rattle-can" paint.

Depending on the paint & primer ( if used ), results may vary widely.

Unfortunately, I am predicting unsuccessful results for removing adhesive vinyl decals, without paint damage.

I hope that I am wrong . . . Good luck !

Dave F.

Back