How do you terminate Kevlar cord?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Virginia, a right to work state. The documentation could be as simple as "The sky is blue, you're fired"
Good paperwork helps keep nuisance lawsuits from turning into settlements. Back to Kevlar, it's way tougher than most of my peers, even if it is a bit abrasive. :-D

Why would you want another knot as opposed to tape or heatshrink. Also, I worked at sea and bowlines were never used as end line knots.
You can’t backsplice a Turks head into braided Kevlar (at least not easily), and a bowline can be untied easily even after a 30 Gee deployment if need be.

On the cut only: Klein Electrician Scissors - Home Depot and Lowes. Get the ones with stripping notches and a straight blade, not serrated. These will cut anything and must be hidden from any fabric use. :rolleyes: I keep mine in the workshop with other tools hanging in front of them on the pegboard.
Cheers / Robert

klein-tools-scissors-21007-64_1000.jpg

Trauma shears do much the same work without hurting my index finger on harder cuts.

G

If you have one of those kitchen knife sets with the bone scissors, those cut Kevlar like butter. Any scissors with tiny saw teeth [just feel edge you can tell if not smooth] will work fine. I also do a wrap of tape and cut through center...keeps both edges from fraying.

If you have one of those kitchen knife sets with the bone scissors, those cut Kevlar like butter. Any scissors with tiny saw teeth [just feel edge you can tell if not smooth] will work fine. I also do a wrap of tape and cut through center...keeps both edges from fraying.

I always use electrical tape. Buy it cheap by 8 packs at Harbor Freight. Like Blackjack said, wrap tape around it and cut through the middle of the tape.

Most of my kevlar and nylon cords are have a folded loop at each end with the folds secured with a little epoxy and then heatshrink to finish off. The image shows an example of a nylon cord, but I use the same technique with kevlar. They have proved to be very reliable.

Attachments

• 2C109D02-7887-4362-80B6-DB80A54B7891.jpeg
    2C109D02-7887-4362-80B6-DB80A54B7891.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 22
I tie a knot and heat shrink - but not in that order. Think about it and you figure the problem out.

I wrap with tape, cut in the middle, then tubular gets finger trapped and stitched and flat gets folded over and stitched.

I tie a knot and heat shrink - but not in that order. Think about it and you figure the problem out.

I've read a lot of Kevlar threads and have never seen that suggested. Seems brilliant to reduce the radius of the bends in the knot. Will try.

So you shrink the heat shrink before tying, or shrink first and hit it with heat again after tying?

Heat shrink after trying. But you need to put the heat shrink on the cord before you tie the knot. You slide it over the knot and shrink.

Tie a Bowline knot and tape the loose end... Not only is this knot very easy to UNTIE too, it is strong and reliable and you can get a nice loose loop.

I use bowlines sometimes too, with a daub of PVA glue on the knot to stop it unravelling. This will reduce the capability of the harness in regards to breaking strength a little, but most are so overrated it doesn't matter.

I only use bowlines to attach kevlar cord to anything. The best thing about a bowline is that regardless of how tight you pull on it, it will untie easily. Sometimes I use tape on the ends, but generally, I leave it unfinished and let it unravel just a little.

Back