How do you store and dispense epoxy additives?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
As I've become more adept at rocket construction, I find myself with some storage and dispense issues, and I'm sure there's a simple solution (well, hopefully not as simple as mine). I have tubs of milled fiber, cabosil (light-weight thickening additive from US Composites, not sandable, not sure if it's a trade name or not), and Q-Cells (also from US Comp, but sandable...makes nice fillets!). Right now I'm using the spatulas you get with gelato to shovel bits in as I mix, but want something that's a bit cleaner and more manageable. I tried using those fillable squeeze bottles you can buy at a store to dispense ketchup or the like, but the spout diameter was too narrow, and when squeezing, these fine particles will FLOOF out and get everywhere more than they'll pour. If I trim them back to make the flow more manageable, the cap doesn't fit on. The milled fiber is too dense to even try- I'm sure it'll compact and settle, and fail to dispense. Does anyone have any elegant solution?

I use a popsicle stick to take enough out of each container. Might have to come up with something new as my quart jars are getting to where a popsicle stick won’t reach much more

I leave mine in the tubs they come in and scoop out with a spoon or popsicle stick. I also use Cabosil and Q-Cells. Q-Cells actually weaken the epoxy IIRC so careful with those. Yeah the fillet is easier to sand but not as strong as Cabosil. Just thought I'd mention it, not trying to derail your thread and get on the subject of strength of additives and fillets.

I just leave it in the tub and pinch out what I need with my fingers (in gloves). A few cheapo spoons from the thrift store is a good idea too. I think the generic name of cabosil is fumed silica.

I leave mine in the tubs they come in and scoop out with a spoon or popsicle stick. I also use Cabosil and Q-Cells. Q-Cells actually weaken the epoxy IIRC so careful with those. Yeah the fillet is easier to sand but not as strong as Cabosil. Just thought I'd mention it, not trying to derail your thread and get on the subject of strength of additives and fillets.

That’s great to know, thanks!

Back