How do you remove old water slide decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobie1dog

Sea Killer rocket
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I searched on here first, found nothing, then went to Google, then YouTube. The rocket is a 40 year old Estes Maxi-Alpha. Goop adhesive remover failed, next is vinegar. I was trying to avoid having to sand them off. When that much sanding is involved the cardboard tubing usually gets messed up and and requires filling and more sanding :mad:
iivc791.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes tape can pull off waterslide decals.

A factor in the equation is whether any clear overcoat was applied over the decals.

Beyond that, the only methods I know involve liquids and are meant for plastic and metal model train bodies.

If the decals were treated with any of the decal setting solutions available in the plastic model and model train categories, the decals have (hopefully, after all, that's WHY you used the setting solution) become one with the paint and to remove the decal, you remove the paint.

Try Micro Set.
From the bottle:
"Decal Remover"
"TO REMOVE DECALS:
Brush MICRO SET on the decal to be removed.
Keep applying until the decal loosens, then rub off or lift the edge of the decal and peel off with the tip of a hobby knife. WORKS ONLY ON DECALS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN OVERCOATED".

The vinegar had zero effect, nail polish would likely work on newer decals, but I decided to use the old elixer "lacquer thinner". You can see it removed the full wrapped decal and the tube became white again. the RH side where the Maxi Alpha sticker is, is still yellow. I ran out of lacquer thinner, but this is just going to take some light sanding and filling then primered.:clapping:
LGHdRdn.jpg

Back