How do you pronounce "details?"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce "details?"

• DEE - tails

• duh - TAILS

Results are only viewable after voting.
I mostly hear duh-TAILS from TV and radio announcers. So I'm wondering if it is a regional thing, or if this is something they teach you in broadcasting school. Anybody here a duh-TAILS person?

I've heard it pronounced duh-TAILS here and there.

Here are a few others:
Battery: bat-er-y vs. bat-tree
Process: prow-cess vs. prah-cess
Ones that drive me nuts up here: Mazda and Pasta: Mazz-duh and pass-tuh instead of the correct Mahs-dah and pahs-ta.

Dee-tails.

My neighbors (whose father was a dentist) used to pronounce gums as gooms. Such as you have receding gooms.

There's a YouTube channel called Testor's Model Workshop (I think), the host is from New Zealand or Australia, and I guess in that region of the world they pronounce the word "Decals" differently. I would say "Dee-kals", he would say "deckles". It was kind of funny the first time I heard it.

For the record, I've never heard Dee-tails pronounced any other way.

It's amazing when pronunciation changes the word entirely...in one of my renal pathology classes, the prof (a UK chap) kept saying things like, "when the caPILLaries..." which is an acceptable variant of the US pronunciation of "CAP-illary", so I got that, but then he would add, "when the caPILLaries are DILL-ah-ted"...and I would be lost. Took me a few classes to figure out he was saying "DIE-lay-ted" which is how we say "dilated".
Then in Gynecologic cytology program, my Indian professor couldn't say the "V" sound, it came out as a "W", so the lectures on "wiral infection manifestation of the wagina and wulwa" were interesting!

There's a YouTube channel called Testor's Model Workshop (I think), the host is from New Zealand or Australia, and I guess in that region of the world they pronounce the word "Decals" differently. I would say "Dee-kals", he would say "deckles". It was kind of funny the first time I heard it.

For the record, I've never heard Dee-tails pronounced any other way.

There's a longtime member of my club that says deh-CALS. Never heard it that way before.

It's amazing when pronunciation changes the word entirely...in one of my renal pathology classes, the prof (a UK chap) kept saying things like, "when the caPILLaries..." which is an acceptable variant of the US pronunciation of "CAP-illary", so I got that, but then he would add, "when the caPILLaries are DILL-ah-ted"...and I would be lost. Took me a few classes to figure out he was saying "DIE-lay-ted" which is how we say "dilated".
Then in Gynecologic cytology program, my Indian professor couldn't say the "V" sound, it came out as a "W", so the lectures on "wiral infection manifestation of the wagina and wulwa" were interesting!

And lets just leave alternate pronunciations of Aluminum alone entirely....

There's a longtime member of my club that says deh-CALS. Never heard it that way before.

And lets just leave alternate pronunciations of Aluminum alone entirely....

So this is embarassing, but related...I don't have a lot of opportunity to talk "rockets" in my daily life (and truth be told, am rather introverted, so even if given the opportunity, I might sit it out). I find myself REPEATEDLY (e.g. not just once or twice) panicking when I have to use the word "fillet" in a discussion about rocketry with non-rocketry folk. For whatever reason, I absolutely go into panic mode and blurt out "fill-AYE" like a filet of cod, or filet mignon. I figure this is because who else uses the term "fill-ETT", and both are acceptable spellings (one "L" or two) in the case of food. I know this has been covered elsewhere, but it bears repeating.

with me it is DEE-tails
I went looking on YouTube for some information about a Fortin Barometer " stick mercury barometer "
and saw a video from India where the kids in the classroom were pronouncing it a "Baro-Meter" where I pronounce it "Ba-Rometer"
My cousin would pronounce twenty as "Quenty"

Bobby

Merriam Webster's says "deh-Tails"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/detail

Don't feel bad soopirV, One of our peeps in Rocketry SC says fil-Aye also. Took me three times to get wtf he was talking about.

So I reckon I'll so grab some new dee-kals and put em on my Baro-meter (can't read it anymore) grab a fish fil-Aye sammich and watch dem puppies waggen dee-tails

"Fillet" is not a term that originated with rocketry. It is a carpentry term. No need for embarrassment there!

Back