How do you make your ejection charges?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 40 years of flying rockets, this has never happened to me. In the 15 years since I return to rocketry, the only time I have seen this is when someone chooses too thin or too soft of material for AV lids. I guess it could happen if you use too much powder.
The other long term members were equally surprised. The powder charges are smaller or equal to the charges that come with the motors.

How much friction do you have between the av bay coupler and the bottom of the rocket? Is it super tight or does it slide reasonably easy (the 'shake test')?

You know those small (1/3 inch diameter or so) carboard tubes on some wire coathangers? I cut an inch and a half or so and plug one end with epoxy. When that is dry, I fill the tube with ffff black powder (0.05 grams works for most of my purposes), insert an estes standard black powder igniter into the powder and then plug the open end with epoxy, leaving the igniter wires protruding. Works every time.

Back