How do you fiberglass an airframe?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
It is not a skill I need right now but what are the steps for fiberglassing an airframe? Do you have tips? I did a google and TRF search with no luck the word fiberglass was just to common

It is not a skill I need right now but what are the steps for fiberglassing an airframe? Do you have tips? I did a google and TRF search with no luck the word fiberglass was just to common
OK, here it goes:
Step #1 - Go out and fly a large variety of rockets for a few years to gain plenty of experience, and then come back and ask that question again.

Step #2 - Repeat.

I hope that this answers your question.

Mark K.

scrap, if you have all this time to ask, you have the time to read. Sit and go through all the results for "fiberglassing". Its something we all did at one point.

Ben

Dont even waste your time glassing. You won't need to for years.

The first rocket I glassed was a mach 1 possible bird made out of estes tubing, and it's still overbuilt with the weight of glass I put on it (which means it won't fly to mach 1).

scrap, if you have all this time to ask, you have the time to read. Sit and go through all the results for "fiberglassing". Its something we all did at one point.

Ben

When I searched how to fiberglass an airframe and Most took me to a link with fiberglass airframes on sale

OK, here it goes:
Step #1 - Go out and fly a large variety of rockets for a few years to gain plenty of experience, and then come back and ask that question again.

Step #2 - Repeat.

I hope that this answers your question.

Mark K.

Mark, hes even breaking you down! There comes a time when you can only ask so much.

I mean I still have a 1/2 scale saturn V rocsim file I made to fly on 5x12" T motors. Its something that if I was given $50k would love to make. But its out of my league for time, money and experience.

Ben

I have the Time :D some money but very little experience compaired to you guys

As a smart person said "teach a child while he is young and while he still has the mental capicity to do so"

Oh, the twin messages "learn the basics" and "get more experience" have been either implied or else plainly stated in my posts right from the beginning of this continuing melodrama. I haven't been pushing it to just sound like some kind of boss, either; I really mean it. It's really the best way to go, and it's what I am doing myself.

Mark K.

Oh, the twin messages "learn the basics" and "get more experience" have been either implied or else plainly stated in my posts right from the beginning of this continuing meta-conversation. I haven't been pushing it to just sound like some kind of boss, either; I really mean it. It's really the best way to go, and it's what I am doing myself.

Mark K.

I just have an obsession with things that are oppistes (super-rocs, fat-boys, heli recovery, tumble recovery,overbuilding, underbuilding (which I did alot of when I was really new to this)

I mean I still have a 1/2 scale saturn V rocsim file I made to fly on 5x12" T motors ...

That would be an interesting project, even more so if you could it to stand with a 1/2 scale LUT and get the F-1's to burn LOX/RP-1 !

So how long was the motor burn, time to apogee, and how high did it sim to?

Greg

That would be an interesting project, even more so if you could it to stand with a 1/2 scale LUT and get the F-1's to burn LOX/RP-1 !

So how long was the motor burn, time to apogee, and how high did it sim to?

Greg

I never got to sim it. The sim took so long to load I never got to watch it, I almost imploded rocsim. But with all three stages, the third stage made it to orbit. And the thing was pretty stable. Weight something like 5 tons I think. Ill have to dig it out sometime.

Ben

Don't you have to be LV2 TRA and have a LEUP permit?

:roll:

Are u that far behind on the times? rocket motors arent explosives. And if I needed to I know atleast 5 people wit high explosive manufacturing permit if I ever needed to make anything. (like a 10" or larger shell)

My dad is a Level 3 thank you :)

Ben

I never got to sim it. The sim took so long to load I never got to watch it, I almost imploded rocsim. But with all three stages, the third stage made it to orbit. And the thing was pretty stable. Weight something like 5 tons I think. Ill have to dig it out sometime.

Ben

I just can't believe you acctually did that!! I just hope the stages didn't use tumble recovery:D

I just can't believe you acctually did that!! I just hope the stages didn't use tumble recovery:D

Way to avoid MY questions, I was hoping you would take a stab at them.

they were stable. I worked on it off and on for like a month. Its someting I would like to do for the 50th anniversarry landing, a 50% rocket. Would be really fun

Ben

:roll:

Are u that far behind on the times? rocket motors arent explosives. And if I needed to I know atleast 5 people wit high explosive manufacturing permit if I ever needed to make anything. (like a 10" or larger shell)

My dad is a Level 3 thank you :)

Ben
Woops The LEUP was overturned in 2009. And talk about having your conections, but for the record could my dad buy 18/20 reloads and assemble them, but I would put them in my rockets And launch? Is thus legit?

Way to avoid MY questions, I was hoping you would take a stab at them.

they were stable. I worked on it off and on for like a month. Its someting I would like to do for the 50th anniversarry landing, a 50% rocket. Would be really fun

Ben

What are you gonna do for the 100th anniversary? I think you have what it takes to join NASA:)..... Once you are there they will let you build a 1/2 scale Saturn.....and pay for it :D

Woops The LEUP was overturned in 2009. And talk about having your conections, but for the record could my dad buy 18/20 reloads and assemble them, but I would put them in my rockets And launch? Is thus legit?

your dad can buy G and under motors and fly them in whatever he wants.

as long as someone with an appropriate cert if on your card for the motor you want to fly (I.E. J-L a L2 name needs to be on there) then they are the ones respnsible for the flight, legally.

Its a touchy subject, some may call it a loophole

Ben

a.) And you did...........
And in about three weeks the safe bet is he will again. Though ya gotta give him credit for Chutzpah. Don't worry Ben, I'm gonna try HPR staging on Friday. That ought to be good for a couple of dozen online dope slaps.

Back