How do you destroy a defective AP motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to say, give it to somebody you don't like, but that would be unkind and perhaps dangerous.

For a reloadable motor where the individual grains are accessible without the case that’s enjoyable, but I’d be very careful not to recommend that with a single use motor, which this is.

Bust the nozzle off and burn the rest.
Worried -- hack saw the thing in half (slowly) and then burn.

One winter night many years ago, the late President of CMASS, Bill Spadafora, disposed of leftover AP grains by setting them atop a snow bank and lighting them with a butane torch. The snow was well packed as it had been deposited by a plow and without pressurization, the grains burned slowly.

The heat from the burning grains melted the snow and they sunk into the mound. It was very colorful (due to grain chemistry) and rather soothing to watch.

Done. Chuffed 4 times, burning off the propellant; then delay smoke. Apparently EC was "absorbed" by ground. Fun.
According to my high school physics teacher (long departed from this world) you changed the trajectory of the Earth when you did this. Not much, but you did. congratulations!

Too late now, but the ejection charge of Q-Jets can be removed and saved for future use. Pull out the little red plug with a tweezers. I do this when flying them in saucers.

Back