How do you destroy a defective AP motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Joekeyo

Reaction score
I have a quest D16 Q jet motor that has a defective nozzle. The nice folks at Quest are replacing it for me. How do I destroy the defective motor? Soak in water?

FredA

Reaction score
Grains in a campfire are the usual method

FredA

Reaction score
For a reloadable motor where the individual grains are accessible without the case that’s enjoyable, but I’d be very careful not to recommend that with a single use motor, which this is.
Bust the nozzle off and burn the rest.
Worried -- hack saw the thing in half (slowly) and then burn.

Bowman

Reaction score
Bust the nozzle off and burn the rest.
Worried -- hack saw the thing in half (slowly) and then burn.
Be aware that cored grains all by themselves have a tendency to scoot about.
Be prepared for that.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
Reaction score
One winter night many years ago, the late President of CMASS, Bill Spadafora, disposed of leftover AP grains by setting them atop a snow bank and lighting them with a butane torch. The snow was well packed as it had been deposited by a plow and without pressurization, the grains burned slowly.

The heat from the burning grains melted the snow and they sunk into the mound. It was very colorful (due to grain chemistry) and rather soothing to watch.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
Reaction score
Done. Chuffed 4 times, burning off the propellant; then delay smoke. Apparently EC was "absorbed" by ground. Fun.
According to my high school physics teacher (long departed from this world) you changed the trajectory of the Earth when you did this. Not much, but you did. congratulations!

dpower

Reaction score
Too late now, but the ejection charge of Q-Jets can be removed and saved for future use. Pull out the little red plug with a tweezers. I do this when flying them in saucers.