How do you clean 1010 rails?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
I used a wire brush for my drill and started at the bottom of the rail. After cleaning a few inches I decided it was a bit too aggressive. Since it was right above the standoff I figured very few rail buttons would ever get that far down. I decided to stop with the drill and try something else.

So then I switched to 1000 grit sandpaper. It was OK, but slow. I tried a sanding sponge. OK, but slow. I then tried Scotchbrite. Pretty good results and even better after I wiped the rail down with Hoppes bore cleaner before using the Scotchbrite.

I put a rocket on the rail after cleaning the outer surface and there was no binding. But if the inside is as bad as the outside, there will be some friction as the rocket goes up. So do people clean the inside of the rail? How?

Long bristle plastic brush. We spray on 1:1 dilution of muriatic acid. Hit the really bad spots with the brush then power washer. Rinse with baking soda dissolved in water to neutralize. Then water.

This is for 60+ rail cleaning.

Thanks, but I had decent luck with Hoppes and Scotchbrite. Honestly, it would take me a lot longer to drive to the store to get a bottle of hydrochloric acid than to just clean the second rail the same way.

Our clubs 1010 and 1515 rails are over 10 years old and still working well. They may not look to good, but they work well.
Before the season starts in October, we have a maintenance day and clean all the rails. We use WD-40 and Scotchbright "green meanies" to scrub down the rails. When we set up for the first launch, the pads go into the field and stay there until the last launch in the spring. After that last launch, the pad get leaned against the outside of the sea-container and the rails get put inside until the next maintenance day.

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG

We did have to replace the blast deflectors after 10 years of use and sitting outside all year, but other than cleaning, that is the only repairs we've done.

If I was cleaning a few rails I would WD-40 as well - that stuff is the magic elixir- and Scothbrite pads. One problem our club has is dirt. Anything left on the rails would cause the dirt/dust to stick and that would be a problem.

If I was cleaning a few rails I would WD-40 as well - that stuff is the magic elixir- and Scothbrite pads. One problem our club has is dirt. Anything left on the rails would cause the dirt/dust to stick and that would be a problem.
+1 that is a common problem in desert areas as well, anything left on the rails thats oily or sticky picks up dust and sand. I made a tool for cleaning our clubs rail slots by casting a tool from CerroSafe alloy, its about an 2 inches long and fits in the slot perfectly and a machine screw is used as a handle to slide it along the slot. It removes the major gunk from the inside of the slot. To make the tool I plugged off a section of the rail (no defects like pock or scratches) put a screw upright in the slot not touching the bottom (used a nut and washer to hold it right height) then poured in the Cerrosafe alloy (a low temperature melting alloy used by gunsmiths to take chamber and bore castings).

I also have it on good authority that a pressure washer does an excellent job of cleaning rails.

... I also have it on good authority that a pressure washer does an excellent job of cleaning rails.

Hmmm... A pressure washer has Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor written all over it. Sadly, I don't have one. Looks like vinegar and Scotchbrite is the easiest way to go.

Thanks for all the responses.

I used vinegar as I had a jug of it handy. It worked great! Barely scrubbed the rail and most of the gunk came right off. Srubbed a little harder and all except the most stubborn stuff came off.

I used vinegar as I had a jug of it handy. It worked great! Barely scrubbed the rail and most of the gunk came right off. Srubbed a little harder and all except the most stubborn stuff came off.
We use vinegar as well, and it works, nice that its cheap and effective.

Vinegar and Scotchbrite pad here too. I put the vinegar in a spray bottle, spray on ,let sit awhile, hit with pad. Vinegar seems to be the perfect solvent for APCP residue. I rinse well with water hose after and when dry spray entire rail with silicone.

For our club I bought a piece of 4 inch 8ft long PVC pipe, capped the bottom end. Pour in your preferred solution and let is soak for 15 min. Pull out then make a pass or two with the scotch brite pad and rinse.

For our club I bought a piece of 4 inch 8ft long PVC pipe, capped the bottom end. Pour in your preferred solution and let is soak for 15 min. Pull out then make a pass or two with the scotch brite pad and rinse.
We have this as well, it will hold 3-4 or so rails at once, clean on one soak the rest.

This is what I built for our club. I use vinegar and rotate it for an hour with an electric motor. Then hit'em with a pressure sprayer. Scotchbrite only the stubborn areas inside the rail if needed. It can do about seven at a time. When we have a big launch, I'll have twenty or so to do. I used to hate dark motor propellants but this makes it so easy to clean them now.

Attachments

• Rail cleaner-1.jpg
    Rail cleaner-1.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Rail cleaner-2.jpg
    Rail cleaner-2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Rail cleaner-3.jpg
    Rail cleaner-3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 26
When I fly off my personal rail I clean it right at the launch. All I do is wet it down with Windex and wipe it down with a Terri cloth towels.

Back