HOW DO YOU APPLY DECALS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

hball55

Reaction score
The type of decals I am having trouble with are the ones that go around the circumference of the rocket. The ends rarely meet. These are the vinyl decals, not water slide (easy to apply).

I am hoping there is a trick to get it right, as taking an exacto knife to try and peel the end so I can grab the decal and reapply it has had mixed results, usually ending with a damaged decal.

Antares JS

Reaction score
Is the decal rectangular? Draw a line down the body tube with your tool of choice like you would for fin alignment on an Estes rocket. Line up one edge of the decal with that line. You'll at least get close enough that no one is going to notice.

kyle

Space: mostly nothing, partially stars
Reaction score
Is the decal rectangular? Draw a line down the body tube with your tool of choice like you would for fin alignment on an Estes rocket. Line up one edge of the decal with that line. You'll at least get close enough that no one is going to notice.
Plus use a tape hinge on the short edge.
Have the ends on the same side as the lugs/buttons. That way when they don't line up perfectly it's easy to hide.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For vinyl, use a spray bottle filled with warm water and a few drops of dish detergent.
Spray the painted surface and apply the decal.
This will make it adjustable for repositioning .
Squeegee out the water and air bubbles and burnish.
Lesson learned after many crooked vinyl decal applications.
See Mark Hayes' Stickershock23 FAQ section for some good info.

Joekeyo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For waterslide decals wet the surface first with a spray bottle. This will enable you to move the decal. Make a few tick marks around the tube using a fin alignment guide. You can erase the marks later or if you make them light enough then ok.