How do some suppliers avoid hazmat shipping?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
I've noticed that hazmat shipping is a significant expense when ordering high power motors. It seems, though, that some suppliers are able to not charge the big hazmat fee on certain motors. Most notably, buyrocketmotors.com does not charge hazmat on all but the very biggest motors. Also, for example, an Estes G40-7 is available with free shipping on Amazon, while the same motor incurs a $27.50 hazmat fee (more than doubling the price) on Hobbylinc. Some suppliers have a higher clearance level, or what?

I've noticed that hazmat shipping is a significant expense when ordering high power motors. It seems, though, that some suppliers are able to not charge the big hazmat fee on certain motors. Most notably, buyrocketmotors.com does not charge hazmat on all but the very biggest motors. Also, for example, an Estes G40-7 is available with free shipping on Amazon, while the same motor incurs a $27.50 hazmat fee (more than doubling the price) on Hobbylinc. Some suppliers have a higher clearance level, or what?

Some suppliers just ship illegally, and some factor it into the price of the motor(selling about retail). By the way, this years rate for hazmat is $32 per box and the fee's from fedex all went up, so you will likely see these free hazmat(not shipping) deals fade away. A typical hazmat shipment cost $50-60 now, up from the $40-$45 from 2 years ago. I have some as high as $65 because of a "additional handling fee" of $11 that can be charged for any reason by a terminal....I have 1 hub that does it almost every time on 2 lb boxes. I've been fighting with the shipper about it but I always seem to lose that battle.

I think hazmat is only required for high power motors. Estes G40 is not a high power motor.

Hobbylinc ignored hazmat for years. Too bad they got nailed. I wish they'd up the shipable limits on USPS.

Part of it has to do with the weight of the propellant grains. I believe the limit is 30g. For instance, a G64 from Hobbylinc ships without hazmat, while an F40 incurs the fee. It's because the two grains of the G64 are each less than 30g, but the single grain of the F40 is over.

Part of it has to do with the weight of the propellant grains. I believe the limit is 30g. For instance, a G64 from Hobbylinc ships without hazmat, while an F40 incurs the fee. It's because the two grains of the G64 are each less than 30g, but the single grain of the F40 is over.

I believe this is correct, its the same reason Loki G-I motors can ship non-haz, as well as a number of Aerotech H and I reloads. CTI motors on the other hand have igniter pellets in the 24mm through 38mm which require haz-mat for that reason alone.

Correct and that is why the grains are bagged separately in the reload kit.

I am not sure, but I don't think that the hazmat shipping fee is required by law. Amazon may have contracts with whoever does their shipping were they are not be charged a hazmat fee for the transportation of the motors. The payment of the fee does not mean that the shipping is being done legally.

I believe this is correct, its the same reason Loki G-I motors can ship non-haz, as well as a number of Aerotech H and I reloads. CTI motors on the other hand have igniter pellets in the 24mm through 38mm which require haz-mat for that reason alone.

cti could ship some hazmat free. They just haven't asked permission from the usps. Dumb

I am not sure, but I don't think that the hazmat shipping fee is required by law. Amazon may have contracts with whoever does their shipping were they are not be charged a hazmat fee for the transportation of the motors. The payment of the fee does not mean that the shipping is being done legally.

The Haz-Mat shipping fees are for the carrier, its a fee they charge to make sure that the shipment is in compliance with Dept. of Transportation regulations 49 CFR, the carriers employ personnel to review EVERY haz-mat shipment to verify that the paperwork is correct, that drivers receive proper training etc.

The picture below is only sections 100-185 of 49CFR and are the major ones for dealing with haz-mat, its a very boring and confusing read, but if you have a Haz-Mat drivers endorsement its absolutely important that you understand at least where to find information in it, it covers things like proper shipping names, separation and segregation of various types of hazardous materials, placarding (those diamond shaped colored and number signs on the sides of trucks), and how to properly fill out the paperwork and information that is ABSOLUTELY required to be on it. A failure of any of the above gets expensive fast.
49CFR.jpg

Last edited:

All of BuyRocketMotors.com's current online stock can legally ship via USPS per their 30 gram exception. This includes single use G LMS motors, and many 29mm reloads including F through I impulse; and two 38mm reloads. Everything else must ship FedEx/UPS ground with an associated HAZMAT fee plus actual shipping. I can't speak to how others ship their products such, but we follow the rules.

As long as the packaging is labeled "model aircraft parts," the HAZMAT requirement is waived.

It is a long and complicated saga best told over cold beverages and a campfire rather than keys and electrons...

Edward

Because it made me laugh. We could all use a bit of laughter and levity in our lives.

Edward

The Haz-Mat shipping fees are for the carrier, its a fee they charge to make sure that the shipment is in compliance with Dept. of Transportation regulations 49 CFR, the carriers employ personnel to review EVERY haz-mat shipment to verify that the paperwork is correct, that drivers receive proper training etc.

The picture below is only sections 100-185 of 49CFR and are the major ones for dealing with haz-mat, its a very boring and confusing read, but if you have a Haz-Mat drivers endorsement its absolutely important that you understand at least where to find information in it, it covers things like proper shipping names, separation and segregation of various types of hazardous materials, placarding (those diamond shaped colored and number signs on the sides of trucks), and how to properly fill out the paperwork and information that is ABSOLUTELY required to be on it. A failure of any of the above gets expensive fast.
View attachment 312865

It warms my heart to see a paper copy of the CFR all tabbed up like that. I was just flipping through my particular chapter (46 CFR) to answer a co-worker's question.

It warms my heart to see a paper copy of the CFR all tabbed up like that. I was just flipping through my particular chapter (46 CFR) to answer a co-worker's question.

Sad part is I have three of them done that way, one at home, one at work, and the third one is in my training bag.

This, too.

Yep, and you as the shipper dont get to keep any of the fee for yourself either, and you had to pay for training to be able to ship the product.

So true :facepalm:.

I'd love to see more competition for small HAZMAT shipments in the states, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. It's pretty much FedEx or UPS (as for most other packages I suppose). There are numerous freight companies that are happy to ship HAZMAT but you're looking at 3 figures minimum from yard to yard, not counting the cost of getting it to them / them picking it up, and final mile delivery. Judging by the past 5 years or so, you should expect to see an increase in HAZMAT fees every 12 to 18 months, along with an increase in general shipping. UPS/FedEx typically follows the others lead with time.

As I mentioned in a prior post, "HAZMAT" is known as Dangerous Goods to the carriers. The carriers have dedicated departments to handle HAZMAT Q&A, dedicated inspectors; a wave of paperwork that must be maintained, documented, and archived; monitoring of total weights of DG's being transported in a single truck with the prospect that various packages may have to be divided amongst trailers, trucks, etc. to avoid triggering further DOT requirements, etc. It all adds up in overhead and man hours. Whether this translates to the current $32.00 per package is hard to say; and there's not a heck of a lot competition out there, so....

Nope. It's a weight limit, and any G SU is over. Even the F52 reload is over

Even worse, Estes E black powder motors require Hazmat. Several online sources, however, are not charging Hazmat for the shipment of them.

Back