How do I know if reloadable is the way to go for me?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I have a couple rockets set up to fly on E's, but they are not easy to find locally, and rms is cheaper anyway, right? I just don't know if they are much trouble (there's usually a trade-off for lower cost), or if they're reliable enough, or even if I fly enough to make the switch worthwhile. I probably launch rockets about a couple times a month... more when the weather's better. Maybe if it didn't cost as much I'd go more often. The idea of using reloadable rocket engines is interesting, but is it for everybody?

I value you folks' opinions... whadd'ya think?

(BTW: the pic doesn't relate to my question - I just thought it was cool :) )

Hello,

I think rms motors are great-if you can find them. The only hobby store that carried them around here stopped selling them because of lack of demand. But, if you can get some I would definately reccomend that you buy them and use them.

-Chris H

E30 = $12.00 single use

E18 = $14.95 for 3 reloads...R.M.S.

Silver Comet on such said E18 RMS Reload...Priceless

availabilty realy denotes what you fly. I have had the 24mm reload casing for a while, so I get reloads whever I can. I am currently hoarding a pack of E18's and a pack of F24's.

Okay.

So is 40 bucks (Red Arrow Hobbies) about what I should expect to pay for a 29/40-120 setup (minus the reloads)?

Is that the right one for my 29mm D and E-powered Estes rockets?

And while I'm at it - is there a rule of thumb or a calculation I can use to figure out how much delay is right for which model?

Thanks!

Stephen

40 bucks is about as cheap as you're going to find a 40/120 casing. I picked up mine from Magnum for 42. It hurt a little laying out the $$ for it until I went back last week and picked up a half-dozen E-G reloads for what would've bought maybe 3 single use motors.

...unfortunately forgot to get some lubricant so I'll just have to go back next week. Darn the luck! :D

P.S. Check out InfoCentral at www.rocketryonline.com for delay vs. weight calculations. You can also go to www.apogeerockets.com and download the free RocSim demo. I've found it pretty useful for "quickie" calculations (I'm too cheap to lay out $90 for the full version).
Wind will be a major consideration also. I tend to use shorter delays most of the time because of that.

Originally posted by Chilly
...unfortunately forgot to get some lubricant so I'll just have to go back next week. Darn the luck! :D

P.S. Check out InfoCentral at www.rocketryonline.com for delay vs. weight calculations. You can also go to www.apogeerockets.com and download the free RocSim demo. I've found it pretty useful for "quickie" calculations (I'm too cheap to lay out $90 for the full version).
Wind will be a major consideration also. I tend to use shorter delays most of the time because of that.

Thanks for the info! I'll head on over there...

Stephen

theres also a motor matrix from the aerotech site ,showing suggested max lift off weights,,ect

......to use only as a guide line of course
I tried to upload the pdf to the forum but it's too big

Originally posted by Bushrat
...Is that the right one for my 29mm D and E-powered Estes rockets?...

Stephen
D and E powered Estes rockets are usually 24mm. You might want to check that before ordering a case. ;)

Thanks. :)

I actually did know that, I just can't type and think at the time same.

Stephen

Originally posted by Chilly

Far be it from me to ruin your excuse to go back to Magnum... but if all you need is lubricant to use for the RMS assembly, you can use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly as a substitute. Also, some hardware stores and most stores that sell bearings carry tubes of Super Lube, which is the same lubricant that is in the little plastic tubes that come with the RMS.

I just ordered my very first RMS hardware and a pack of E18s from Magnum for my Aerotech Mustang.. and now that I think about it, I may as well order a few with 4 second delay for my (70% complete) Cosmodrome Nike Smoke.

Keep your eyes open soon for the single use E30s, Aerotech has them targeted for production this month.

Back