How did YOU get into model Rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronicabill

Reaction score
No doubt your entry into model rocketry was different than mine, so I’d love to hear your story!

For me, it happened around 1970... 4th grade science class. My teacher, Ms Middelstadt, brought her husband’s R/C airplane into class for discussion. In those days it was either a single-channel “galloping ghost”, or 2-channel control... I no longer remember.

Anyway, I was so enthralled by it that I went home that evening and made a reasonable replica out of corrugated cardboard, and even colored it properly with an orange magic marker!

My teacher was impressed enough by my skills that she presented me with my first model rocket... an Estes Astron Falcon boost-glider kit a week or so later!

While I never flew my Falcon as a rocket, it did start my entry into the world of model rocketry! Since then, quite a few rockets have been built and flown, but nowhere near as many R/C airplanes!

So... how did YOU get into model rocketry???

The podcast promoted here tells how Daniel, The Rocket N00b, got into the hobby.

For me, it was rocket club in junior high school during the space race. Drifted away after a few years, got back into it on my own in my mid-twenties for a year or so and then back out. In the late nineties, a coworker told me he would be in my town for a launch that weekend. Got that whiff of BP smoke and was hooked again. I've stuck with it for 20+ years now with no end in sight.

Latest posts

Back