How did you and your wife/girlfriend meet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I both missed the same George Clinton concert. We were complaining about it in the break room the next day, and found that we had similar interests. Sometimes it's not what you do together, it's what you don't do together.

Still haven't seen GC in concert either.

aww. that's cool. well, I think it would be really sweet if on a special occasion, if George Clinton is still singing and having concerts, is to take her to one of his concerts. I don't know who he is or anything, so right now I feel stupid b/c I don't know how old he is, or if he's even alive now.

I was an aero engineering grad student tutoring undergrads taking physics for extra cash. Future wife had problems with Chapter 9: Torque. She was the one student I tutored who was always on time and well prepared with specific questions. She got through physics. I got a wife. A match made in geekdom!

I was at a church function, asking the pastor's wife about the 'available' single women at the event. She handed me two bits and a scrap of paper with a phone number and said "Here, call her up and take her out!" (It was her daughter.)

Way back in pre historic days...1963!...I was at a loss in high school because they cancelled the wrestling program so for one winter I was manager of the basketball team.

During my free period my job was to "clean the basketball" and that required be to go into the gym during "girl's gym class":eek:

Back then...a guy in the girls gym class was a no no!

I had an "exemtion" 'cause I had basketballs to clean!

I could even sit and talk to the girl's gym teacher if I wanted to!

One day will the girls were doing calestetics I was sitting talking with the gym teacher, right in front of us was the most appealing young lady I've ever seen! Our eyes met...yadda yadda yadda

Well, we've been together since then...married 34 years last May!

I met Mrs Hokky at a gig my band were playing at. She was the flat-mate of our bass player's girlfriend. I recognised her, because we got the same bus home from work some days. Our eyes met...

Just over a year later we had our first child, Shaun. All of our friends and relatives told us we had ruined our lives. We could have done. Some days it felt as though we had done, because we had no money, and we didn't like the only area we could afford to live in.

We didn't rush to get married, and that caused more heartache for some people - we were "living in sin". Gradually we realised for sure that we hadn't ruined our lives, but that we'd been incredibly lucky - with each other - and we got married just before Shaun started school.

Almost 20 years later, we are the proud parents of five healthy boys. Many of those sage old friends and relatives have been married and divorced. Go figure!

'scuse me, I have to go and kiss Mrs Hokky...

A trim young blonde thing in the dorm elevator pinched my butt. No lie!

Now - amazingly - still married after 18 years and two kids.

back in 1999 I was fooling around with IRC chat on the Internet. I was just wanting to see how the thing worked and what all the fuss was about instant messaging. The first night I was doing it someone with a screen name of 'out of gray' popped up and asked me if I wanted to chat. I said sure. I asked her why she wanted to chat with me and she said she had been looking at profiles and saw I was into Harleys and she liked motorcycles.
We began to chat quite often and after a couple weeks we began emailing. This lead to actual phone calls! I was kinda freaked out by the whole thing by this time. We have all heard the horror stories of meeting online. Pam lived dwon in Arkansas about 10 hours south of me so I did nothold much hope of anything actually developing. THis all started in Sept 99 and that Thanksgiving day I found myself on the road the Arkansa to meet this woman. When I pulled into her drivway she was outside to meet me. It was so cool, I mean I knew what she looked like because we had traded pictures but it was like the proverbial cupids arrow for both of us at that instant!
By June 2000 Pam was living in Iowa near me and in August 2000 we were married!!
In Nov 2001 I legally adopted her son (and now my son!) Justin.
In 2001 Pam also got her first Harley! Its great having a live-in riding partner.
I was 42 years old when I met Pam. I had never been married and was beginning to think it wasn't in the cards for me.
The Good Lord had a different plan and I could not be more blessed!

Where would I be wihout the Internet?!!

I came back from my 5 year stint living in Vancouver due to depression. A freind's freind's wife had a single freind, and ararnged for us to meet. We did. Alsthough she was told that a freind would be over to 'meet you'; dark har, like airplanes, etc. My freind & I show up, so she's confused.. Which one?! We hit is off slowly, but great. We've never looked back! (Although we both did suspect we would be living life as singles. Amazing what happens when you give up hope!! :D:D )

Well, 3+ years dating, and we've jsut retuned from our honeymoon! Married Oct 2nd, 2004!

I'm right behind Stevem.

I met my wife via the internet in '97, and spent several months "chatting" before actually talking in person on the phone.
This first phone conversation lasted for about 5 hours. A few months later, we met for the first time in St Louis. We had not exchanged pictures so the date was blind in that regard. B. was absolutly beautifull. We spent another year and a half or so jetting back and forth visting twice a month on average. Then were married in '99 and now have a wonderful four year old boy between us. My love continues to grow.

I have found no reason for IRC since we got together...go figure.

The year, 1981. The place Governor's Island, NY - USCG Training Center. To be honest, I cant really tell how we decided to go out together. I was actually chasing one of her friends. I could tell I wanted to keep her when she started to fall down a flight of stairs and i cought her -> by stepping on her hand!

We started out so dead broke that we had an apertment that let in the bitter NYC winter through cracks in the walls. Our first real date was July 4th 1981 when we walked from Battery Park to the upper west side to watch the Macy's fireworks. During our coutship, our idea of fun was to walk uptown to the USO for a free PB&J sandwich and then see if we could get free tickets to a show.

I married her on February 6, 1982 and never looked back . That's six months of dating and almost 24 years of being married.

She even helps me with the rockets!

rocketwife.jpg

The year, 1981. The place Governor's Island, NY - USCG Training Center. To be honest, I cant really tell how we decided to go out together. I was actually chasing one of her friends. I could tell I wanted to keep her when she started to fall down a flight of stairs and i cought her -> by stepping on her hand!

We started out so dead broke that we had an apertment that let in the bitter NYC winter through cracks in the walls. Our first real date was July 4th 1981 when we walked from Battery Park to the upper west side to watch the Macy's fireworks. During our coutship, our idea of fun was to walk uptown to the USO for a free PB&J sandwich and then see if we could get free tickets to a show. A Dell puzzles book was a splurge!

I married her on February 6, 1982 and never looked back. That's six months of dating and almost 24 years of being married.

She even helps me with the rockets!

rocketwife_snmall.jpg

Here she is making me a parachute for my first crayon. It had to be in crayon box yellow and green.

we met at work - she posted some hilarious emails and I went to meet her. turns out she liked my emails too :) our 11th anniversary was last Sunday.

Met mine in a church singles class when I was in Navy Flight School in Pensacola, FL. Didn't really "like her" in that way back then... just a friend who I stayed in touch with. 2 years later, we were still staying in touch, even though I had moved a couple times, made a Middle East Deployment, and was living in San Diego.

We realized, through frequent phone calls, that there was something more than just friendship there, so I flew out to Orlando (where she was then living), and the dating officially began. We married 2 years later, and have been married for 2 more since then.

Moral of the story: Never underestimate your friends - you may just wind up married to one someday!

WW:D

great stories!

Stewart32, same thing here, once I met my wife I had no interest in online chat anymore. too funny!

Originally posted by Mrs.Havoc821
I was just curious. Ya'll know mine and Chris's story.

I was running a group of white hat hackers, catching bad guys across the net. I found out there was someone doing the same job solo. I located them, and it was a middle aged stay at home mother and widow, completely self trained. I got to know her and traded tips and such. I found out this middle aged stay at home mother and widow who enjoyed gardening and baking brownies was also an Army master sergeant with 26 years in service, trained in nuclear, biological and chemical weapons, offense and defense. I like contrasts. I invited her to join my group. She did. She invited me to come visit her. I did. The rest, as they say, was magic.

Kathy's my highschool sweetheart :)

When I was in my early teens my mom moved us from NY to Florida. At about the same time, Kathy's family moved from NY to Florida (we had never meet).

During my 2nd year there I noticed this girl in an ajoining field with some classmates. I was shy but would *watch* her through my telescope (pegged the geek-o-meter there...) It was about 6 months later that I got up enough nerve to talk to her (i was the director of our drama club and she got a part in one of our plays).

For the next year (as I understand it), every time we got together it was so that she could break up with me, but then didn't have the heart... By the end of high school we were talking marriage (i can remember the very first time she said "i love you" (time, place, date). When I came home from college to take her to Grad Night at Disney World, I proposed right outside Country Bear Jamboree.

27+ years later we're tight and in love :) She's not just my wife, she's my bud and confidant. I just wish she wasn't so **** good at Backgammon! sheesh!

Cute story... During my first year in Florida, my neighbor and I set about our wood shop project. Design and build a teeter-totter (See-Saw) that could break the worlds record for teeter tottering. Then we set about doing it. And we did it (9 days, 10 hours, 8 minutes, non-stop) while collecting money for the Heart Fund.

Near the end of our record, after having been on TV and in the news papers, these two girls kept stopping by to sit and watch, point and laugh, giggle then leave.

Sometime around our 2nd anniversary, Kathy's girlfriend was up and they got to talking about old times and recalled this time they were in the Port Orange Plaza and watched these two idiots on the see-saw. They laughed themselves silly talking about these two "jerks"... ...LOL

Originally posted by jflis
When I came home from college to take her to Grad Night at Disney World, I proposed right outside Country Bear Jamboree.

What a coincidence! I also proposed to my wife at Disney World! It was on the "beach" just outside of the Grand Floridian! We had sat in the same bench-swing on our first date years before, when I had taken her to Citrico's (a restaurant in the Grand Floridian).

WW

Ok, so here's the story.

I'm a senior in college at a school in Missouri. I go back home to St. Louis for Christmas break in 1994. I go to a bar/club called "Taz-Mania" on The Landing with my brother and my high school buddy Rob. At the club, we run into a group of 3 girls, of whom my brother and Rob knew 2 from previous visits to the bars. We hang out, and I'm making small talk with all three. No big deal. It turns out that the 3rd girl (that Rob and my brother hadn't met before) was the sister of on of the girls that the guys I'm with knew, and that she's just tagging along too. See, she [was] a grad student at Oklahoma State and was "home" on Christmas break too.

The problem is, that my brother thinks this mystery sister is *HOT* and lays it on thick. I'm playing it cool, and although I agree with his asessment, I'm not *nearly* as agressive and let him go for it.

Well, my brother's advances are to no avail, and he is ultimately turned down with nary a phone number.

The next night, I go out with Rob and my brother again, and again we go to The Landing, but this time to a club called "Rivers." At Rivers, we run into the same trio of girls. This time, the sister in question IMMEDIATELY nabs me up, pulls me aside, and starts talking with me. I figure it was to get away from my brother.

But after 10 years and 3 kids, I'm coming around to believing that she liked me in the first place. ;)

Wow, those are really cool stories! I think Graylensman story is the funniest. Who thought love would start with a pinch on the butt?! Too funny!:D :p Well, now it is my turn to be curious. How many of your wives or girlfriends are:

1)supportive of your hobby
2)not only supportive but also build rockets with you?

Just curious. :)

I met my wife when she was sitting in the bookstore doing a Yoda impression. Her best friend was talking to a couple of friends of mine, so I stuck my head around the corner and, in my best Jar Jar Binks impression, said "how wude!"

We started talking then and I got her phone number. Finally got to talk to her again about a week later. When we started talking, she told me she had a boyfriend and she was very in love with him. 2 1/2 hours later, things weren't so great with the boyfriend (yes, we talked the whole time) and the next day she called to tell me she broke up with him, and asked what I was doing later that day :D

Stuff like that never happened to me. I finally figured out how to get women, but now I've caught my limit ;)

Tom

Originally posted by havoc821
Well, now it is my turn to be curious. How many of your wives or girlfriends are:

Supportive in that she doesn't complain when I spend a bunch of money but that's about all. She leaves rockets to me, I leave gardening to her. We already have a few mutual interests, but these aren't them.

Originally posted by havoc821
Well, now it is my turn to be curious. How many of your wives or girlfriends are:

Just curious. :)

Well, Kathy doesn't *build* rockets, but she's kitted thousands of them... :D

She's my chief kitter and fully supports my hobby and company (couldn't do it without her). I will also say that, while she never really understood the hobby, she has always supported my involvement in it.

Mine is very supportive. She would much rather have me merrily gluing my fingers to strips of balsa and cardstock than have me off carousing with "the boys" down at the local bar.

As for actually building rockets, she hasn't gotten that far into it, but she did prep and fly an Estes #2 Skywriter once. She enjoys watching, but isn't into the building part of it. She's much more into making cards. Our agreement is that if I want to get rocket stuff at Michaels, she gets to go shopping with me so she can get an equal amount of card stuff. It works out pretty well!

She'll sit on one end of the sofa making cards, and I'll sit on the other end building rockets, and we both encourage each other in our separate pursuits.

WW

My wife is supportive for several reasons: 1) She realizes I need to build things, 2) It is something I do with the kids, 3) It is something I do with my kids' friends - bringing them to launches, helping them buy and build kits, etc. She doesn't partake in any rocketry activities herself, although she's come with me to launches here and there.

Elana and I met in 1994 at a "wrap" party. In the TV Biz, when a show is finished taping for a season, there is usually a party thrown after "it's a wrap". We were both working on Sesame Street (but hadn't met) and mutual friends introduced us. She being visually and verbally artistically gifted and me being a musical genius and all we pretty much instantly clicked. So this party was on the set of Sesame Street, it was at 55th st and 9th Avenue in NYC and has since moved to Kaufman/Astoria studios in Queens. Magical mystical moment...our first kiss was in Big Bird's nest! As my final act of the millenium I proposed on the eve of 2000. In August we celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary...It's been great. Congrats to us all...when you find that person, it's just amazing...

gotta go to stop n shop, michael's and to get nissan inspected, saturday morning, life is wonderful

(planet) Andy

Originally posted by Andy Turits
We were both working on Sesame Street (but hadn't met) and mutual friends introduced us.

WOW - you worked on Sesame Street? I LOVED that show when I was young! But there was one character I was *really* scared of...can't remember the name now.

I first met my wife online. For a long time our only communication was through e-mail and ICQ, as there was a pretty large ocean between us. I finally was able to come to the US on a vacation and we met for the first time, and everything just clicked - it seemed like we had known each other for ever. I came to the US again a few months later, but when my wife tried to come to visit me she was deported. :mad: Six months and a visa after she was deported, I was in the US and we were married. :cool:

As for rocketry, she is as enthused as I am. She's into building kits now, but wants to build something from scratch and maybe get into high power sometime.

Back