How did you and your wife/girlfriend meet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Mike
WOW - you worked on Sesame Street? I LOVED that show when I was young! But there was one character I was *really* scared of...can't remember the name now.

yes, It's rewarding to have worked on a show that continues to have a positive impact to so many. And met my wife too! you're probably thinking of "the count" who counted stuff...

in answer to Havoc's question...Elana sometimes helps me with the painting if I want something special and she's been out to one launch. She's amused by my hobby and truly supportive. Also glad that I'm not out at the bar with the boys, just drinkin a beer or two at the workbench whilst not operating any heavy machinery.

(planet) andy

Elana sitting here informs me that we met in 1995...ooops...She STILL loves me!

Judy and I were 'newbies' in the same job, it was a few days before Christmas 1977 and her car wouldn't start, we were scheduled to work over the holidays and with no public transport she would have been stuck. Several 'experts' had a go at the car then one of the bosses remembered that I had been trained in such things and asked me to assist. One carb diaphragm later the car was running and I had a date.
We married Oct 6th 1979 so those of you quick at maths will note we've just celebrated our silver wedding (and we've never had an argument) some of us are just lucky I suppose.
She has no interest in rocketry at all but doesn't mind what I do or spend .. so that must count as support ;)

Originally posted by Andy Turits
you're probably thinking of "the count" who counted stuff...

I did search around and found a picture of "the Count".... I was *seriously* scared of this character, I have memories of crying when he came on (remember I was 4 at the time!) but I've no idea why.

I did search around and found a picture of "the Count".... I was *seriously* scared of this character, I have memories of crying when he came on (remember I was 4 at the time!) but I've no idea why.

Was it the teeth? He sorta reminded me of Ray Reardon.

In 1989 I worked as a 3rd shift stocker for a grocer, and I would get home well after my mom and sister had gone to work or school. Luckily the girl across the street would leave for work late in the AM so I had a chance to spy on her thru my sisters telescope...I caught one good glimpse thru the looking glass one day, and found the nerve to ask her out...we dated for a year or so, and have been married for 14 years now.

My wife and I meet through a Christian singles club in the summer of 1983. It was one of these deals where you send in a description of yourself, and once a month you get a list of all the member's descriptions. My brother and I were both in it, and Cris liked both of our descriptions. She initially was going to pick him, but decided to pick me instead because there was less difference in our ages. (I'm three years younger than Cris, and my brother is even younger.)

So she called me, we talked a bit and arranged a meeting. We hit it off right away and were married within six months. December 3rd will be our 21st anniversary. BTW, it's become a tradition for us that we always deliver a carload of toys to the Salvation Army for their Christmas toy drive on our anniversary.

..."the Count".... I was *seriously* scared of this character, I have memories of crying when he came on (remember I was 4 at the time!) but I've no idea why.

He was based on a scary dracula type character and was always counting stuff like bats like any good dracula type thing would... "one bat hahaha, two bats hahaha". If you also had seen a scary dracula movie your 4 yr. old mind may have made the connection. If any of you are ever scared of any muppets just take a deep breath and understand that they are
all a bunch of (very artisticly and creatively constructucted) felt with a person's hand underneath.

take care,
Andy

First off, I married my high school sweetheart... about 28 years after high school!

Teena and I were dating in high school (1972 in El Dorado, AR) then I had to move away to Kansas City with my folks. This brought an end to our dating and we both went our different ways.

Teena got married a year or two later and I was out in the world learning to be an adult (a life long learning curve).

Sometime in the year 2000, I entered Teena's name in Google and got a hit. It was an annoucement from the 90's about her son getting a golf scholarship (or something like that). It was posted in the Ponca City, OK, newspaper so I knew where she might be. I then found her name in the Ponca phone book using her two initials and no first name like some single women do these days. So, I had her phone number and thought she was single. I printed out the number and set it on my desk.

Well, it took 2 or 3 months, but I called her. Less than a month later we were engaged and are now married.

Life is full of twists and turns...

bmhiii

While my wife is in part responsible for me becoming a BAR (after I mentioned starting up rocketry hobby, she and the kids gave me a starter set) she otherwise has zero interest. In fact, when I returned proudly home with the unbroken egg I lofted in the RoosterBooster, she demanded I throw it away because it stank. I had to wave the expended motor under her nose to prove that it wasn't the egg she smelled...

Originally posted by Andy Turits
...If any of you are ever scared of any muppets just take a deep breath and understand that they are all a bunch of (very artisticly and creatively constructucted) felt with a person's hand underneath.

...except, of course, Miss Piggy :D

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
...Married Oct 2nd, 2004!

Hey Dr. Wogz: Nice kilt... I've never seen one like that... it looks like a solid grey... or a very subtle tartan...

Anyway... my wife and I met in college... I was a typical geek that always carried a pen and pencil in my shirt pocket... she was a typical blonde that always forgot a pen or pencil to every class. So she sat next to me and begged off a pen... and then would walk off with it. Pretty soon we were doing homework together... then after I graduated, I found myself missing her... a year later we were married.

She has supported me in every crazy thing I do - including rockets. She doesn't build rockets... but she likes to know that one of my rockets is "hers" Right now it's an Estes Big Dawg. She comes to some of my launches... even Black Rock. She has fun... she supports me by making lunches and drinks... but mostly by letting me buy what I "need".

We were married May 28, 1977.

Did you really work for Sesame Street, Andy? I used to watch that show when I was little, and my mom still watches that show ( she's 39 years old ). Every day, she gets my grandmother to tape it for her so when my mom gets grandchildren, she's going to make them watch Sesame Street. My mom's really weird. She even watches Mister Rogers, but she doesn't want her co-workers to know.

Originally posted by Mrs.Havoc821
Did you really work for Sesame Street, Andy?

Yes Ma'am,

I was an assistant video editor for them from 1987-96 as well as composed some small musical things for them during the same period. If you or your mom watch "The Best of Elmo" I think my name is in the credits. That's quality television that has a "shelf life" of forever which is why people of all ages watch it.

Andy

I'd known my wife for a while before we actually met. I had seen her alot in the basement of the music building at Bowling Green State University while I would be waiting for Men's Chorus or Marching Band to start. We actually met for the first time, however, on the corner of S. College and First street in BG near the stop sign. I was walking to a friends house, and she was walking to her apartment. She recognized me, and said hi. I ended up walking her home, and stayed at her place for awhile and had dinner with her, then walked home 4 hours later in a sever thunderstorm that spawned two tornadoes. Fun stuff...lol

Loopy

The future wife worked in the record store across the hall from the sporting good store I was managing. 1993

After some flirting and a totally botched first meeting (we didn't really even talk) we had a successful date and were married a year later. 10 years and 2 kids later I love her more than ever. She is my best friend and soul mate. She thinks I'm a geek, but is tolerant of it.

Back