how did it work....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swstanton

Reaction score
on your Goblin. Did it land close to the pad? I live in Tracy Ca where it can get pretty windy. Even in the early morning there is a little bit of wind so I'm hoping for very little drift and with the D-motor I'm sure it's going to be up a while... I would hate to lose my clone on it's first launch. (I do have 3 more on the way... going to paint one pumpkin orange)

Thanks - Scott

Is that a Caveman Goblin clone with the little nylon chute or a Goblin clone that uses the streamer?
The goblin will go quite high on a D12-7. It usually weathercocks a bit and flies upwind, which is good.
I launched my Caveman Goblin clone not to long ago and almost hit the pad with it. The little chute makes for a fast descent, so it isn't in the wind for a long time. I put about 2 tablespoons of chalkline powder in with the chute and got a nice orange poof! on ejection. Surprised the people watching the launch!
How much drift you get with any rocket is gonna depend on the wind, and how long the rocket stays in the wind (descent rate). with a streamer, the rocket will come down fairly fast, so the wind will have less time to blow it away.

I am painting a Goblin clone right now. I intend to use a C11-5 for the first flights, with a streamer. After I evaluate a few flights and the landing pattern, I might try a D12-7.

how did it work....
on your Goblin. Did it land close to the pad?

Scott,

Were you trying to reply to the new streamer thread?

I re-measured the streamer and it's 2" X 20" long. I decorated it with a Sharpie permanent marker to match the decals.

When I launched it at the last CMASS event it had a crepe paper streamer in it just like the one that came with the original kit.

Wind speed was 5 - 10 mph and the field was big.

I used a D12-5 and the ejection charge blew the streamer right off and toasted the shock cord. :eek: :eek:
The shock cord stayed attached and it came down with just the cone and body connected by the shock cord.

The field was grassy enough so that the only damage was a cracked fillet on one fin. Easily fixed :)

I used another D12-5 from the same pack of engines in my BT-60 size upscale Goblin and the shockcord got toasted on that one too :mad:

The streamer stayed attached and it landed about 75 ft from the launch pad. I made a new 3" X 30" streamer for that one also.

The crepe paper was just too flimsy.

Here is a picture of the streamer on the clone and the upscale Goblin is beside it.

Sorry... yes i was trying to post to the streamer thread... hit the wong button... Here's an idea I thought of. Take the streamer and folded it back and worth like create paper would look like. then take a long line of fishing line and run it through the whole streamer. The fishing line would be about 2/3 the length of the streamer and tied at both ends. This shoud keep the streamer in a 'shape' that might help create more drag. What do you think?

Working on the fill and finish for the fins and nose cone today. Hope to have it ready for paint and some pics next week!!!

Thanks - Scott

current projects:
Homemade Der Red Max
Goblin
and enough parts to make 2 more each!!!
Custom - Redliner
Thrustline - Pumpkin
- Cherokee D
Quest - Icarus
Firebird
Estes - Thruster
Sential
Solar Sailer II
Der mini Red Max

and a whole box of other stuff :kill:

Take the streamer and folded it back and worth like create paper would look like. then take a long line of fishing line and run it through the whole streamer. The fishing line would be about 2/3 the length of the streamer and tied at both ends. This shoud keep the streamer in a 'shape' that might help create more drag.

I think that if you do this you're going to have a problem trying to pack it into the body tube.

The Goblin isn't all that heavy and you want it to come down fairly quickly because it will be really up there if you use a D12-7.

A 2" X 20" streamer should be plenty big enough.

Back