How Can I get free Rocket stuff?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKaul04

Reaction score
Like many people, I am cheap, and not shy to admit it, so when it comes to my passion(rockets) how can I get free stuff ranging from kits, motors, and nose cones, all the way to engine hooks and centering rings?

Thanks,
Colin

1. Develop social skills and a personality along with building and finishing talents such that people (manufactures) who have stuff will want to give it to you to demonstrate their products.
2. I have a garage of free stuff I got from clearing out shops of rocket friends who have died.

Number one is unimaginably better.

M

1. Develop social skills and a personality along with building and finishing talents such that people (manufactures) who have stuff will want to give it to you to demonstrate their products.
2. I have a garage of free stuff I got from clearing out shops of rocket friends who have died.

Number one is unimaginably better.

M
+1111111111111111

Industrial paper towel rolls make good 38mm, tinfoil 24mm, drawer liner 18mm, mailing tube for 3in.

Fly cutter for centering rings, balloon, newspaper, glue nosecone.

All of this assumes your time is cheap.

Dress up in a Cub Scout uniform and state , you really are 8 years old. Otherwise yes look for tubes...Tin foil tubes are strong, anyone in engineering field...drawing tubes are thick and strong. Of course look for close outs.

Go to a local rocket launch when available. Look, watch and listen. Make a friend or two you might get lucky. Never beg.

If I might comment here: I am also cheap, HOWEVER, it has been my experience that putting Your change from each day into a coffee can with a slit on the plastic lid, will add up rather quickly and You'll be surprised how much You have. The other things I have done, besides using mailing tubes etc, is to make my own engine locks out of what ever metal I have lying around from other projects. Heavy cardstock works quite well for making things like nosecones , auxiliary engine tubes and the like. I hope this helps as what I have mentioned is quite cheap. Also, if You want a mini rocket to fly, check out Delta 7 Studios for their free Mercury/Redstone. I did and it makes a great schoolyard flyer.

Not free, but good for you: go to club launches and sell your services cleaning motor cases. It’s a way to participate and make money.
People frequently have less respect for people who want to benefit from other’s work.

Tin cup, sunglasses and a white cane. Cardboard sign with at least one letter backwards. Go to a launch. Don‘t drive yourself, dead giveaway. Plop down a blanket by the RSO table. Get what your can, beggars can’t be choosers. Remember you can’t launch with that club ever. Rinse and repeat.
Now that I have been a complete asshat, where are you? “Engine hooks” denotes low power to me. I have been flying for 50 years (yes, you read that right. I lived in the same town as Vern Estes) and have a ‘few’ items you may benefit from. Send me an email with your addy. [email protected] works best. Straight smoke and good chutes, mate!

Instant money right there. I quit drinking, drugs and smoking back in '90 after doing that crap for 15 years. Cold turkey. I was then able to afford drag racing.
Must have been one hell of a habit you had. I know what drag racing costs. 🙂

Like many people, I am cheap, and not shy to admit it, so when it comes to my passion(rockets) how can I get free stuff ranging from kits, motors, and nose cones, all the way to engine hooks and centering rings?

Thanks,
Colin

with the attitude of "im cheap and not afraid to admit it", ya wont get a dam thing from me. i have a pretty big box of spare parts but will give them to someone thats a wee bit more humble.

As a kid I collected tubes out of almost everything and made my own rockets. Used moms paper towel tubes for the body and milk jug lids with a hole cut in them for engine mounts. Used hot melt for glue. Fins came from ice cream pail lids. Cheap plastic Easter eggs from the store made nice nose cones, although kind of blunt on top. I now sell things on eBay to help support some of my hobby of HPR. I have a home made project I build and sell as well as have sold some other things that I don’t need. Also, my families know that I like cold cash for Christmas and birthdays to help pay for rocket related items. It took me about six months just to collect the money to buy a 75/3840 casing. For me it’s a hobby that requires a lot of money and patience. But that’s partly what keeps me going, the anticipation and knowing I can’t afford it all ‘today’. I live three hours away from the nearest club. Also for me, it’s a hobby and there’s no free ride. Hobby’s are expensive, but staying with the smaller rockets and following some of what’s been stated above in the other messages will help. While it’s nice to occasionally get a good deal, or something for free, it’s also a good feeling to donate to someone/something else. I have always appreciated the guys at the launch that will just give me an igniter or a little black power or what ever I need because I failed to have quite everything that I needed for my launch or something unexpected happened. I want to do the same for other people.

Thanks,
Colin
If you go to rocket launches early and help set up, and stay late and help tear down the range, and during the launch hang out and learn and offer to retrieve rockets for some of those who don’t get around as well as they used to, and offer to help others as you see that they need help, I guarantee you will get free stuff.
Almost few years I have family members of passed nearby rocketeers contact me wanting to know how their loved one’s rocketry stuff can go to help someone who is less fortunate. I look for people who come to our launches who are enthusiastic, polite, and helpful and who hang out with us.

Back