How 'Bout Dem Beans - Altimeter 4 and other Jolly Logic News

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G

Reaction score
Altimeter 4 case size -

More info after the NARCON dinner with Keynote Speaker Lee Piester of Centuri Engineering.

IMG_9040.jpg

More news:

There will be a new version of the Chute Release. Half the size and less expensive. Plus more features.

GPS will be integrated at some point with the ability to "mesh" with other frequencies. This will take care of problems with two or more people on the same frequency and create signal boost (don't ask me how) to increase the range of the signal. Apparently the antenna is a big challenge.

A long term goal is to have electronic ejection at initial deployment therefore eliminating the need for black powder charges ever again.

More news:

There will be a new version of the Chute Release. Half the size and less expensive. Plus more features.

GPS will be integrated at some point with the ability to "mesh" with other frequencies. This will take care of problems with two or more people on the same frequency and create signal boost (don't ask me how) to increase the range of the signal. Apparently the antenna is a big challenge.

A long term goal is to have electronic ejection at initial deployment therefore eliminating the need for black powder charges ever again.

Amazing! I may be able to fly my magician on F's!

Altimeter 4 case size -

More info after the NARCON dinner with Keynote Speaker Lee Piester of Centuri Engineering.

What he didn't mention is that's Andre the Giant's finger. Ha!

OK, I know he is no longer with us, but it is the only really big guy I could think of. Anyway, that's impressive Mr. Beans.

I'm already a big fan. I'm hoping to fly something with a JLCR today. Count me in for one of the new altimeters and chute releases!

Cool! I've been wanting a Chute Release, but I've been hesitant due to cost. I have an Altimeter Two, but being a LPR/MPR flier, it's more of a neat little gimmick versus something I really have to have. The Chute Release OTOH, would allow safer recovery of MPR on small fields.

More news:

Just when I didn't think I needed another chute release....

Easy, cheap and small powderless ejection is, IMO, the Holy Grail of our hobby. Go John!

More news:

I believe it's something like your rocket goes out of range of your ground transceiver. If I recall correctly the planned device (at least from the earlier discussions) was to be a transceiver so one would need two units to track independently. Now, your rocket with the "mesh" tracker is on the ground after a good deployment of your recovery system, Flier "B" flies a rocket with the same device in it and if it "hears" the signal/position from your "downed" rocket, it relays it back to the "ground" transceiver. So, especially if the tracker is in the 33cm band (900Mhz) with not so good propagation at ground level, the rocket "on high" is at
a vantage point to receive the signal and relay it back.

This would be further insurance one would get their rocket back although independent GPS tracking is pretty darned good to start with by using the last known position. The mesh method has the potential of giving one the exact location of an out of range rocket before one even goes out to get it.

Some have mentioned in other threads to suspend a transceiver up in the air in a tethered balloon to take advantage of the better propagation at altitude.

This would really make it easy to find your rocket. Kurt

Might be an good drone application.

I believe it's something like your rocket goes out of range of your ground transceiver. If I recall correctly the planned device (at least from the earlier discussions) was to be a transceiver so one would need two units to track independently. Now, your rocket with the "mesh" tracker is on the ground after a good deployment of your recovery system, Flier "B" flies a rocket with the same device in it and if it "hears" the signal/position from your "downed" rocket, it relays it back to the "ground" transceiver. So, especially if the tracker is in the 33cm band (900Mhz) with not so good propagation at ground level, the rocket "on high" is at
a vantage point to receive the signal and relay it back.

This would be further insurance one would get their rocket back although independent GPS tracking is pretty darned good to start with by using the last known position. The mesh method has the potential of giving one the exact location of an out of range rocket before one even goes out to get it.

Some have mentioned in other threads to suspend a transceiver up in the air in a tethered balloon to take advantage of the better propagation at altitude.

This would really make it easy to find your rocket. Kurt

Any info on the release date for Chute Release 2? Just lost mine today....

Thanks for all of the kind words.

One of the "rewards" for attending NARCON (besides hearing from legends like Jim Barrowman and Lee Piester) is hearing about upcoming stuff from manufacturers. I enjoy the chance to talk about what I'm working on, and how I'm thinking about future products. I'll continue to do what I did with Chute Release, which is to let you inside the testing of products as they near release.

But as I explained to the audience, it's tough to predict commercial availability. AltimeterFour will be "this year." The other products I discussed aren't on a glide slope yet. I have a number of products built in prototype form, but which have never converged to a final released product. It's much easier to build a circuit board than it is to release a product!

Alt4.jpg

Please make the new Chute Release some color besides black, like maybe bright orange. That way when you forget to attach the tether you at least have a chance of finding it.

Please make the new Chute Release some color besides black, like maybe bright orange. That way when you forget to attach the tether you at least have a chance of finding it.

+1000 A blaze orange would be great! Or Florescent Yellow! I've got one laying in about a 100 yd circle after a deployment at motor burn out at our field and it's been searched many times. Never found.

I'm excited about all the potential Jolly Logic products I heard about this weekend, both those which may come out soon, and those that may take longer. Hey, if everything cool came out at once, there's be nothing to look forward to!

Dino chutes makes a bright yellow and a bright red cover for the JLCR. I think it is nomex and provides some protection but it also adds the bright color.......just in case.

I have had the yellow DinoChutes cover for the CR assist in finding mine after one of those "ooops - I forgot to attach the tether!!" moments. Granted the field we were flying from was pretty short grass, but the yellow cover did help it be found.

Great idea Nathan, Always seams to me that a white golf ball sticks out better then yellow , pink or orange. But I have seen the covers and like that idea as well

I have had the yellow DinoChutes cover for the CR assist in finding mine after one of those "ooops - I forgot to attach the tether!!" moments. Granted the field we were flying from was pretty short grass, but the yellow cover did help it be found.

The yellow cover didn't help me. My rocket shreaded from an early deployment at about 250 ft above the pad. The chute and nose cone drifted off and the rest came down in parts because it was moving fast enough when it zippered that the BT tore in half. The JLCR only dropped from directly above the pad into mostly dirt and a few corn stalks. It was never found.

I still vote for blaze orange, florescent yellow, or a bright glow in the dark feature so you can go out in the dark and find it.

The yellow cover didn't help me. My rocket shreaded from an early deployment at about 250 ft above the pad. The chute and nose cone drifted off and the rest came down in parts because it was moving fast enough when it zippered that the BT tore in half. The JLCR only dropped from directly above the pad into mostly dirt and a few corn stalks. It was never found.

I still vote for blaze orange, florescent yellow, or a bright glow in the dark feature so you can go out in the dark and find it.
I vote for a load buzzer that the chute release turns on when it lands.

I vote for a load buzzer that the chute release turns on when it lands.

That would likely add to the size and weight. On can add their own small screamer to their harness if desires. I picked up some of these many years ago but
can't find a US source now: https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/3008-light-activated-alarm-kit

A photo electric screamer one doesn't have to mess with a pull pin. Put it inside of rocket, launch and when out in the light, the alarm goes off. Kurt

A US source: https://www.electronickits.com/light-alarm-kit-ck1000/

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the kind words.

One of the "rewards" for attending NARCON (besides hearing from legends like Jim Barrowman and Lee Piester) is hearing about upcoming stuff from manufacturers. I enjoy the chance to talk about what I'm working on, and how I'm thinking about future products. I'll continue to do what I did with Chute Release, which is to let you inside the testing of products as they near release.

But as I explained to the audience, it's tough to predict commercial availability. AltimeterFour will be "this year." The other products I discussed aren't on a glide slope yet. I have a number of products built in prototype form, but which have never converged to a final released product. It's much easier to build a circuit board than it is to release a product!

View attachment 313345
How is the progress coming in regards to the Altimeter 4????????

Back