Hours cut, Layoff next?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxrs

Reaction score
I have worked for my current employer for over 26 years.
I am a machinist and Computer numerical controlled machine tool
programmer. ( Milling Centers and Turning Centers)
I am an at will enployee and am paid hourly. Up untill December
we enployed over 130 people. Mechanical engineers, Electrical engineers
Controls programmers, Machine designers, Front office clerical, Way
to many white shirts, Machinist, Assembly mechanics, Cnc machinist,
Welders and so on. We are now down to about 31 people total.
We hourly people have been cut to 32 hours. The salary people
have taken a 20 percent paycut. Those of working 32 hours
equals a 20 percent pay cut . For many years I worked my
standard 40 hour week and by the end of the year I had
also worked 250 to 500 hours overtime. Looks like the end is in
site I'm sorry to say. Anyway living in New Jersey doesn't
help. This state is not business friendly at all. tax tax tax.
I still have to pay my property taxes. That did not go down 20 percent.
I have to listen to the state workers whining because the idiot governor
talks about wanting the state workers to take a 5 day furlough over
the course of a year.
The state wanted all state workers to pay 5 or 10 dallors for their
health care and they felt that was unfair. I have to pay $100 per week
for my health care just for me and my son. My wife gets hers through
her employer. Some of my co-workers pay to insure their whole
familys at $250 per week. I'm not going to get started on the teachers
union because my head will exploded. Anyway any one looking
to hire a 52 year old machinist. I may have to move to
China because that apears to be where the manufacturing jobs are going.
I have always tried to buy American made goods. I have never bought
a foreign car, new or used. I am not a union person nor do I belong
to a union. But the way the federal government is going we all may
be calling each other comrade.

Dude, I hear ya. What's overtime? At my work, we've been at 32 hours going on 3 months now. I pay $140 a week for health ins., and I still have to pay $40 copay. Shoot, I just had to shell out $250 for my wife's emergency room visit the other nite(her back went out, long story, too depressing, but she is doing much better). I'm in construction, our shop specializes in laminate tops, shelves, and the like. Don't get me started on the state budget and all that mess. Times are tough everywhere. We are all in survival mode, and I feel when push comes to shove, people are gonna give up a lot more to do so. Oh yeah, and I've been there almost 25 years, I can pretty much run the place, and I'm just another worker. My wife's on disability,too, but they keep payin all different times, it's just a struggle to keep a roof over our head.

Sounds like you live in California! We have many of our state workers, including the teachers, protesting due to furlough days and budget cuts. I mean, heaven forbid they be asked to pick up some of the cost of their health care and make some sacrifices like the rest of the state!

Anyway, it's way too easy to go on a tirade over this nonsense we keep hearing from our state employees. I feel for your pain and wish you luck. Hopefully you have some money put away to help get you through the lean times.

fxrs, I'm really sorry to hear about your work situation. It's tough going for a lot of people right now but that doesn't make it any easier when it's your job. We just got hit with a mess of bills all at once (unexpectedly high tax bill, real estate taxes, medical, and 2 car repairs) and things are really tight right now.

Everyone responding to this thread: talking about employment, layoffs, etc. is fine here. Talking politics isn't so please take any opinions on that to PM or email.

Thanks,
Lisa

I hear you.
Hang in, there is an end in sight..

We've had 2 lay-offs (down to about 10 from 25) and have had an average of 10% pay cut. What hurts some, is first the pay cut, then the lay off.. So, unemployment insurance takes your last pay check for the benefits..

(We also haven't seen a raise in about 5 yerars due to "bad management") And, we have no benefits of any kind.

And we've just signed off on a proposed shorter work week. Some governement sponsored program to cut our hours to 3 days a week.. At least its the summer..

.....I am a machinist and Computer numerical controlled machine tool programmer. ....
Time to get your resume updated and start looking elsewhere. You are a skilled worker, and in demand.

Don't quit or start making a story where you work, but time to look elsewhere.

Bringing up partisan politics when talking about something as sensitive as layoffs and the economy only stirs up controversy. Those types of discussions are not allowed here per our rules.

Do it again and it gets pulled. Thanks for your understanding.

Bringing up partisan politics when talking about something as sensitive as layoffs and the economy only stirs up controversy. Those types of discussions are not allowed here per our rules.

Do it again and it gets pulled. Thanks for your understanding.

If you feel the need to pull this thread go for it.
I said nothing about one polictical party or the other.
There was nothing patisan but I did say the word government.
But the government is made up of many political parties
so that can't be partisan can it?
I was stating true facts about state employees who
are hired workers not elected officals. I can see how you got
confused by me mentioning unions because they are very partisan.

No confusion. We're getting into governmental and presidential policies. Not an indictment to you, but a general caution to all.

This is a great place to find solace and understanding, but this is not the place for discussion on politics. People can get passionate and take offense easily about these things no matter how innocently they start; and if a fight or argument starts, we'll lock it down.

Hang in there, we're all here for support, but we can't solve the world's problems here. Thanks for understanding.

fxrs, I don't know about Machinist, but Boeing in Ridley Park PA (Philly), has more than a few openings on the engineering side, may be a good place to look.

No confusion. We're getting into governmental and presidential policies. Not an indictment to you, but a general caution to all.

This is a great place to find solace and understanding, but this is not the place for discussion on politics. People can get passionate and take offense easily about these things no matter how innocently they start; and if a fight or argument starts, we'll lock it down.

Hang in there, we're all here for support, but we can't solve the world's problems here. Thanks for understanding.

Very well.

fxrs, I don't know about Machinist, but Boeing in Ridley Park PA (Philly), has more than a few openings on the engineering side, may be a good place to look.

Thanks. I have actually been there a few times. I have a former
uncle ( First wife's uncle ) who works there.

Two close relatives in auto-related jobs have been idled recently.

I have been on the present job just over a year. Getting under 30 hours/week now but may get more. Health insurance COBRA runs out in the Summer and not certain I can afford personal health insurance on what I earn now.

We've had 2 layoffs here in the last 6 months, and we continue to lose money. Our staff is probably half of what it was 2 years ago. I'm salaried, so am expected to work extra hours to pick up the slack, unpaid. My family sees me much less these days. There have been no direct pay cuts (yet), but benefits keep going up. Well, I'm fortunate, and thankful to still have a job, so I try to keep plugging away...

I've heard an awful lot about layoffs and people that are having to pay health insurance.

I've been running my own business since 1988 and there have been slow time but this is pittiful.

Granted what I do is basically entertainment related for schools and churches and being that, it is the first thing they cut from the budget.

I can't get unemployment, nobody pays my benefits but me.

Where's my economic stimulus package?

So I bought another business.:y:

Anybody want some decals?:(

Back