Hot buttered rum...sounds good...interesting experience.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
I've been suffering from a cold lately, and have enjoyed hot teas and the like, but now that I'm well on the mend, felt like something a bit stronger tonight. Tipped a bit of brandy in my chamomile, and enjoyed it very much! Got me thinking about other hot "adult" beverages, so did some googling. Ran across a recipe for hot buttered rum on Epicurious, a site that hasn't typically steered me wrong in culinary endeavors. It sounds so Dickensian and rich for a cool February night (kids and I had a fire tonight outside to roast marshmallows; now that they're in bed, it's my turn for a treat).
Here's the link, but try at your own risk! Hot buttered rum

The trouble is, none of the ingredients save for the rum and brown sugar are actually all that soluble in hot water- I'm sipping a pipping hot cup of it right now, and am getting the grit from the cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg, intermixed with the weirdly pulpy texture of lemon zest...the butter just kind of disappeared, not really noticeable at all. The flavor is quite nice, it's just a textural train wreck. This must be why it's a nostalgia-inducing cocktail, since no one actually drinks it anymore, or am I being unfair?

Gin and tonic and lime. Enough to make you forget a cold's ills.

Always a fine choice, IMHO (I like to go herbal with mine- try it with a slice of cucumber and a sprig of tarragon (sounds ostentatious, but is delicious!)

Put it through a drink strainer after heating and add your rum:cheers:
Greg

Gin and tonic and lime. Enough to make you forget a cold's ills.

That's for malaria, not a cold. For a cold, you need a brown (aged in oak) liquor, some warm water, and something to sweeten it up. Toddies of different kinds, or something like hot buttered rum. Yum! I like toddies with Bourbon, lemon, and honey. It may not actually help cure a cold, but it will put a smile on your face before bed.

Back when I was kid my Mawmaw always had a bottle of Wild Turkey into which she would put honey, peppermint and lemon. That was always our cold medicine.

Toddies of different kinds, or something like hot buttered rum.

I was just in Myanmar (Burma) for a holiday, and discovered the wonders of Hot Toddies. When the Hot Toddies are made with their hooch, that is distilled from the Toddy Palm, they were really soothing after a couple...

FYI, here is a pic of a Toddy Palm:
Toddy.jpg

Here is a pic of their home still:
still.jpg

The wok has cold water and condenses the alcohol. Simple and very effective :)

Speaking of "historical" beverages, here is an interesting video on syllabub! Be sure to check out the rest of this channel on YouTube as well - some really interesting food history here! https://youtu.be/y6NIMNkaGI4

Try putting the spices in the rum first. That's what we do for spiked egg-nog, and the spices integrate much better that way.

That's for malaria, not a cold. For a cold, you need a brown (aged in oak) liquor, some warm water, and something to sweeten it up. Toddies of different kinds, or something like hot buttered rum. Yum! I like toddies with Bourbon, lemon, and honey. It may not actually help cure a cold, but it will put a smile on your face before bed.

For the flu I usually just have a shot of single malt Glenfiddich, but this sounds like something I should try.

When I make a buttered rum, I use butter, rum, cloves and cinnamon stick. No water or lemon. Nutmeg for a garnish maybe...

Back