Hot Air Rework Station - what do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worsaer

Amateur Propulsionist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For those that use them, what make of hot air rework station do you use? Do you have any pros/cons? I’m considering adding one to my workbench, and am looking for the Goldilocks, “just right” model. Not junk, not overkill. I have a Hakko soldering station that I’m happy with, but their rework equipment looks to be pricey.

Just in case you didn't consider this alternative to hot air rework:

I deal almost exclusively with through hole technology (80's arcade boards) so I use one of these and it is just awesome.
https://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fr301.htmlMine is actually the older generation (black handle, model 808 I think), but the design and operation is almost identical.

For those that use them, what make of hot air rework station do you use? Do you have any pros/cons? I’m considering adding one to my workbench, and am looking for the Goldilocks, “just right” model. Not junk, not overkill. I have a Hakko soldering station that I’m happy with, but their rework equipment looks to be pricey.

I'm using a cheap AOYUE 866. Nothing impressive, but usually gets the job done. These days I use it more for reflow soldering of new boards than for reworking.

The included pre-heater is significant for me, but the also included soldering iron only gets used when I need a secondary one (e.g. desoldering chip resistors), because it's cable is shorter and stiffer than I prefer.

Reinhard

Back