Horseshoes, hand grenades, and Tiddlywinks ;-) close enough

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenP

Reaction score
Finally got around to putting this FlisKit together. The rotor blades are a little delicate, have to be careful when sanding the airfoil section and re-glueing after splitting. Not finished with the elastic and tension cords yet and the wire retainers/clips. I need to make a MMX sized display mount, the entire engine mount tube is sitting inside a 13mm display stand I made for another rocket. One deviation from the instructions: I wrapped a strip of cardstock around the upper portions of the hinges after wrapping them with the chute cord. I recently finished a (SEMROC) gyROC, I guess I am on a helicopter kick for now.

DSC_7638.jpg

just arrived in the mail: 18mm Rose-a-Roc from FlisKits and the Estes 13mm Mini "A" Heli. Will be fun to try these different helicopter recovery kits.

rather than painting this little thing, I used a metallic gold paint pen for the nose, and some Crayola markers, not the washable kind, Long-Lasting, Brilliant Colors, they seemed to show up better than my colored Sharpies on the balsa. But looks like something I might have done when I was in 2nd grade. Very hard to hold this tiny delicate rocket steady and draw on it at the same time. I went with the color theme of the classic Tiddly Winks game, which also could be like the Twister board game as well. Just wanted to give it a little bit of color without adding weight.

DSC_7640.jpg

rather than painting this little thing, I used a metallic gold paint pen for the nose, and some Crayola markers, not the washable kind, Long-Lasting, Brilliant Colors, they seemed to show up better than my colored Sharpies on the balsa. But looks like something I might have done when I was in 2nd grade. Very hard to hold this tiny delicate rocket steady and draw on it at the same time. I went with the color theme of the classic Tiddly Winks game, which also could be like the Twister board game as well. Just wanted to give it a little bit of color without adding weight.

View attachment 357858
Looking good, Glen. Those banded rotors should give an interesting effect coming down. And it's called "Tiddlywink" so it's supposed to look like it was done by a second grader, right? Nice job.

Many thanks! This is the inspiration for the primary colors theme, because, you know Tiddly Winks, and it is also a kind of Twister too, right?

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 6.45.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 6.45.25 PM.png

added more metallic gold paint pen to the center dowel and motor mount, hopefully that will help it sparkle in the sun light. A few more Tiddlywinks on the underside of the rotors. Still have to mount the retaining threads. I might use some red or orange colored thread that I use for chute shroud lines instead of the white cord in the kit.

DSC_7641.jpg DSC_7642.jpg

Will definitely wait for the wind-les days for this one. One final shot with the red colored thread I used from my chute cord spool. I added some patches of cardstock on top and bottom of the rotor blades to help retain the elastic and the retainer thread cords, probably not needed.

DSC_7644.jpg

Many thanks, Mr. Flis/Grandpa Jim! I just opened up the Rose-A-Roc and am starting that build now. Can't wait to send these birds in the sky and take them for a spin!

Back