Horseshoes, hand grenades, and Tiddlywinks ;-) close enough

Discussion in 'MicroMaxx (MMX)' started by GlenP, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Jul 3, 2018 #1

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

Finally got around to putting this FlisKit together. The rotor blades are a little delicate, have to be careful when sanding the airfoil section and re-glueing after splitting. Not finished with the elastic and tension cords yet and the wire retainers/clips. I need to make a MMX sized display mount, the entire engine mount tube is sitting inside a 13mm display stand I made for another rocket. One deviation from the instructions: I wrapped a strip of cardstock around the upper portions of the hinges after wrapping them with the chute cord. I recently finished a (SEMROC) gyROC, I guess I am on a helicopter kick for now.

DSC_7638.jpg

2. Jul 9, 2018 #2

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

just arrived in the mail: 18mm Rose-a-Roc from FlisKits and the Estes 13mm Mini "A" Heli. Will be fun to try these different helicopter recovery kits.

graylensman likes this.
  3. Jul 19, 2018 #3

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

rather than painting this little thing, I used a metallic gold paint pen for the nose, and some Crayola markers, not the washable kind, Long-Lasting, Brilliant Colors, they seemed to show up better than my colored Sharpies on the balsa. But looks like something I might have done when I was in 2nd grade. Very hard to hold this tiny delicate rocket steady and draw on it at the same time. I went with the color theme of the classic Tiddly Winks game, which also could be like the Twister board game as well. Just wanted to give it a little bit of color without adding weight.

DSC_7640.jpg

4. Jul 19, 2018 #4

graylensman

graylensman

graylensman

Not bad!

5. Jul 19, 2018 #5

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

Looking good, Glen. Those banded rotors should give an interesting effect coming down. And it's called "Tiddlywink" so it's supposed to look like it was done by a second grader, right? Nice job.

6. Jul 20, 2018 #6

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

Many thanks! This is the inspiration for the primary colors theme, because, you know Tiddly Winks, and it is also a kind of Twister too, right?

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 6.45.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 6.45.25 PM.png

7. Jul 23, 2018 #7

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

added more metallic gold paint pen to the center dowel and motor mount, hopefully that will help it sparkle in the sun light. A few more Tiddlywinks on the underside of the rotors. Still have to mount the retaining threads. I might use some red or orange colored thread that I use for chute shroud lines instead of the white cord in the kit.

DSC_7641.jpg DSC_7642.jpg

8. Jul 23, 2018 #8

BABAR

BABAR

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA TRF Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

Looks great. Hope you soon have a nearly windless day to fly it!

9. Jul 30, 2018 #9

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

Will definitely wait for the wind-les days for this one. One final shot with the red colored thread I used from my chute cord spool. I added some patches of cardstock on top and bottom of the rotor blades to help retain the elastic and the retainer thread cords, probably not needed.

DSC_7644.jpg

10. Jul 31, 2018 #10

jflis

jflis

jflis

Great job on the build and finish :). Looking forward to a flight report!

11. Jul 31, 2018 #11

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

Many thanks, Mr. Flis/Grandpa Jim! I just opened up the Rose-A-Roc and am starting that build now. Can't wait to send these birds in the sky and take them for a spin!