Horizontal Spin Recovery - with Magnus Effect?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s the minimum length to diameter ratio you are consistently successful with? My far more limited experience suggested that the extreme ratios required for backsliders weren’t needed for HSR.
Without waiting for the full report, I can reveal one of our (preliminary) key findings. After establishing a baseline series of six launches at 50:1, we recorded another series of launches at 40:1. Both series were 100% successful in achieving HSR. Both series achieved essentially the same descent time. Whatever may have been lost in Magnus effect, the shorter tube seems to have made up in less weight and drag. In other words, it went a bit higher before beginning its descent.

Last edited:
You may or may not have stumbled upon an unsung but perhaps still Holy Grail of model rocketry, small field in damaged recovery with decent (not to be consumed with “descent;)”) altitude.

Right now you are pursuing achieving decent hang time. I think we have established that while Horizontal Spin Recovery (HSR) DEMONSTRATES Magnus effect the vector is unfortunately LATERAL to the descent vector and while entertaining is not so far otherwise useful. (Then again,since to a large extent the whole POUNT of model rocketry is largely entertainment, I may be wrong in that.) but thus far the Magnus effect induced does not SLOW the descent.

Ironically the initial problem with HSR was DURABILITY, the axial rotational kinetic energy snapped the fins off. Your plastic partial tube fins may have solved that problem quite elegantly.

Let’s look at major sources of damage from fast descents

1. Broken Fins
2. Crimped Body Tubes

With a horizontal recovery orientation, if your current plastic fins solve problem 1, the orientation itself may solve problem 2, as if the fins don’t stick out too far the tube hits the concrete horizontally, spreading the stress more evenly than a chute recovery where rocket usually comes in just off vertically, likely the WORST scenario (ie most likely to crimp a tube if it comes down fast.)

The possible confounding factor is length, as the longer the tube the more likely it will crimp. And the longer the tube, the longer the hang time (which is wonderful if you have a big field and low wind.)

My theory is that HSR works with much lower length to diameter ratios than Back Slide (agreed longer is better in terms of hang time and effectiveness.). It may be possible to get it to work with a more standard length rocket (say along the demensions of the WAC Corporal) and have it come down RELATIVELY fast (more importantly with less possible DRIFT) but still SAFE (priority 1) and without damage (priority 2.). The horizontal orientation itself certainly promotes safety, I’d rather not get hit by a rocket at all but in the off chance it happens I’d rather it be the side of the body tube rather than a pointy nose cone or even a casing or motor hook. I did see a kid cut his hand trying to catch a plastic finned low power rocket (catching is legal for low power, it is illegal under NAR and I would guess Tripoli rules [@Steve Shannon might confirm] although if you do it before you reproduce it may qualify you for a Darwin Award.)

I have the tubes, I better get building (of course I also have @jqavins slinky and haven’t done anything with that yet either).

Last edited:
In our recent round of experiments. we made six flights with our 1" diameter Magnus Opum rocket at 50 inches of length, videoing the flights and timing the descents. Then we repeated the six flights with the very same rocket (minus a 10" tube section) and motor but with a length of 40". There was no statistical difference in the performance, HSR characteristics, altitude, descent time, etc. Thus we can confirm replacing a length ratio of 50:1 with a ratio of 40:1 appears to be perfectly reasonable. It remains to be seen how much more we can reduce the ratio but still maintain 100% reliable HSR.

We are working on another experiment to statistically verify the Magnus effect, if any. Under identical conditions, we will make 6 flights with the 50:1 rocket as is, then replace the interchangeable fin can with one featuring straight (not curled) fins and make six more flights. This intends to closely compare HSR with Backslide recovery. If there is no statistical difference in descent time, then the rapid spinning of the HSR makes no difference and there is no vertical Magnus effect.

Another key question we want to address is why some HSR rockets always want to spiral vertically down and land very, very close to the pad, and why others (in our fleet of 9 HSR models) consistently want to take a preferred direction toward the next county downwind. We are wide open to suggestions on this issue. Please dive in!

Another key question we want to address is why some HSR rockets always want to spiral vertically down and land very, very close to the pad, and why others (in our fleet of 9 HSR models) consistently want to take a preferred direction toward the next county downwind. We are wide open to suggestions on this issue. Please dive in!
My suspicion is variable magnus effect of body tube vs fin can (although I can’t tell why some fin cans do and others don’t, so not sure this helps.)

Fin can Magnus effect may be greater (larger diameter) or lesser (highly turbulent flow.) either could “overwhelm” (or “underwhelm”) Magnus force generated by body tube. The unbalance sideways force would make the rocket rotate around CG, in combination with the descending rocket creating a spiral pattern.

Second idea is tail to heavy, it is “trying” to get perfectly horizontal but can’t quiiiiiiite get there, so the longitudinal spin induces a lateral rotation.

Do the SAME rockets behave the SAME way each time?

aMy suspicion is variable magnus effect of body tube vs fin can (although I can’t tell why some fin cans do and others don’t, so not sure this helps.)

Fin can Magnus effect may be greater (larger diameter) or lesser (highly turbulent flow.) either could “overwhelm” (or “underwhelm”) Magnus force generated by body tube. The unbalance sideways force would make the rocket rotate around CG, in combination with the descending rocket creating a spiral pattern.

Second idea is tail to heavy, it is “trying” to get perfectly horizontal but can’t quiiiiiiite get there, so the longitudinal spin induces a lateral rotation.

Do the SAME rockets behave the SAME way each time?
More or less, yes. Each individual rocket seems to have its own personality and behave the same way each time.. The experimental rocket with the interchangeable tubes and fin cans we are working with right now likes to make a half-spiral descent with either 50" length or 40" length. The distance it lands from the pad is almost as far as the altitude achieved. We have another model that spirals more tightly. It may go up 700' yet land only 100' from the pad. Quite a lot more experimentation is needed. It may be that subtle variation (defects) in tube straightness and nose cone alignment plays a significant role.

Physics doesn't care about handedness., but we bring artifacts of it into what we create. :)
The FBI can tell the handedness of the unknown bomber long before they have any other details.
My point is that if it shows a preference, it has to do with a bias in the way you held and glued the fins :)

Physics doesn't care about handedness., but we bring artifacts of it into what we create. :)
The FBI can tell the handedness of the unknown bomber long before they have any other details.
My point is that if it shows a preference, it has to do with a bias in the way you held and glued the fins :)
Agreed. In scratch building models with a changing variety of shapes, sizes, materials and build processes, variation will occur. Damage and degradation will occur over an unpredictable number of flights. In holding and glueing fins, we are mostly using the Estes fin alignment jig. The precise way in which we align and clamp the fins in the jig is evolving and improving towards a standardized process. But still we make mistakes and find variation. Sometimes the jig is oriented vertically and sometimes horizontally. The type of glue changes quite a lot depending upon the materials. I find CA is more unforgiving, but a heavy use of curved plastic fins (not easy to clamp in the Estes jig) prohibits slow setting white glue. We are currently trying a greater reliance on original Gorilla glue, being more forgiving during installation but leaving somewhat ugly bumps and bubbles.

It may be that the rate of spin has an influence on the tightness of the spiral. But so far we can't confirm that. Our next round of tests will include testing the effect of 3 versus 4 fins, and smaller versus larger fins.

I've begun my latest in the Magnus X series. It will be BT-50 packing a D12-5 or D12-7 motor, painted black and fluorescent pink for visibility. Design improvements include increasing its tendency to spiral rather than glide in a fixed direction. The goal is a 1000' apogee with a 1 minute descent landing within 250' of the pad.

View attachment 513663
Fins manufactured from raw stock in ~15 minutes ready to install and finish. Fins are 1.5" x 2" x 0.020", weighing 0.20 oz. per set of 4. Material is PETG cut from commercial 3" thin wall shipping tube.
You do know that the curvature of the fin makes a big difference on spin-rotation/stabilization/effect. I see your height and width measurements but no radia or curvature measurements….if i am to assume that it is 3” dia div by 4 to calc the curve then ok.

You do know that the curvature of the fin makes a big difference on spin-rotation/stabilization/effect. I see your height and width measurements but no radia or curvature measurements….if i am to assume that it is 3” dia div by 4 to calc the curve then ok.
Glad to have your input. Thank you! I have no schooling in spin-rotation/stabilization/effect. Any helpful technical references would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding my fin dimensions, the basic commercial tube is nominally 3". However, careful measurements with a caliper indicate a more reliable average measurement of 3.12" outside diameter.

I'm also experimenting with an entirely different fin concept on one of my older rockets:

DSC00661.jpg
These fins are essentially indestructible, made from Lexan.

DSC00662.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to have your input. Thank you! I have no schooling in spin-rotation/stabilization/effect. Any helpful technical references would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding my fin dimensions, the basic commercial tube is nominally 3". However, careful measurements with a caliper indicate a more reliable average measurement of 3.12" outside diameter.
Generally on a curved fin the stabilization forces are stronger towards the area where the fins connect to the body tube and lesser as they move out towards the fin tip…kind of common sense I know. What makes the real difference is the amount of area there the fin has and this can be controlled by the radius of that specific area….plus the height of that fin…the larger the diameter (cut in 4 or 3 pieces) provides this force. So, a 4” diameter tube cut down to 4 sections/fins will have more stabilizing surface area where it counts compared to a 3” dia. The actual mathematics can be done to determine what size you would need depending on your roc weight, length, CG/CP tube dia, etc. in this case bigger is better for larger roc’s…that’s just to keep it stabile going up and you can count on the spin/force to help correct by 1x - 5x depending on these calcs too….that’s what I have found through my experimentation….but I usually error on the more stabile than less stabile approach. This may not be what you want with the effect you are going for though.

I'm also experimenting with an entirely different fin concept on one of my older rockets:

View attachment 527553
These fins are essentially indestructible, made from Lexan.

View attachment 527554
The fin may be indestructible. Given a chain is only as long as it’s weakest link, the next “at risk” components are the joint and the body tube itself. So you may simply shift the damage to another location.

In most areas of recovery the major kinetic energy concern is vertical velocity abruptly ceasing at impact.

Horizontal spin is I think unique in that there is a HECK of a lot of ROTATIONAL kinetic energy to dissipate. Your plastic curved fins give you two advantages above and beyond their inherent strength compared to your “1/2-box” style

1. The lateral edge of the fin TRAILS the spin direction, the curved edge LEADS. I hypothesize the rocket may keep spinning just a little bit even after it hits, slowing down the deceleration even a small amount decreases the force substantially. Your old style square fin leading 90 degree angle doesn’t do that. A thought: what about increasing the angle to say 135 degrees? May allow a bit of continuing spin after impact. Even better, make outer piece out of slightly flexible plastic.

2. I suspect your plastic fins “bounce” on impact, because they can flex a bit and recover. Don’t think your old box fins will do this (unless made with plastic and angled out a bit as above.)

The fin may be indestructible. Given a chain is only as long as it’s weakest link, the next “at risk” components are the joint and the body tube itself. So you may simply shift the damage to another location.

In most areas of recovery the major kinetic energy concern is vertical velocity abruptly ceasing at impact.

Horizontal spin is I think unique in that there is a HECK of a lot of ROTATIONAL kinetic energy to dissipate. Your plastic curved fins give you two advantages above and beyond their inherent strength compared to your “1/2-box” style

1. The lateral edge of the fin TRAILS the spin direction, the curved edge LEADS. I hypothesize the rocket may keep spinning just a little bit even after it hits, slowing down the deceleration even a small amount decreases the force substantially. Your old style square fin leading 90 degree angle doesn’t do that. A thought: what about increasing the angle to say 135 degrees? May allow a bit of continuing spin after impact. Even better, make outer piece out of slightly flexible plastic.

2. I suspect your plastic fins “bounce” on impact, because they can flex a bit and recover. Don’t think your old box fins will do this (unless made with plastic and angled out a bit as above.)
Agreed. I'm phasing out my 1/2 box fin design on the grounds that it tends to descend by zooming away from the launch site in a single direction, while the curved fin tends much more to spiraling safely nearer to the pad. NOTE: The latest refined observation of the spin rate is a solid 420 rpm.

With regard to the fin to body joint, I'm phasing out the polystyrene angles and tee sections. They are convenient and practical, but polystyrene is weak and is definitely prone to breakage. My current preferred method is original Gorilla glue. It takes some getting used to, and is best used in the most minimal amounts, initially a very fine line for initial attachment, then as very small fillets after the initial attach joint has cured.

Wouldn't stepping up to carbon fiber or fiberglass be an advantage in combating these issues?
Absolutely yes. But major drawbacks are weight and cost.

The only good reason for crimping is ballistic descent due to failure of the rocket to attain HSR attitude at the apogee ejection event. I haven't had this issue since I've figured out the correct motor/delay, ejection hole diameter, etc.

Agreed. I'm phasing out my 1/2 box fin design on the grounds that it tends to descend by zooming away from the launch site in a single direction, while the curved fin tends much more to spiraling safely nearer to the pad. NOTE: The latest refined observation of the spin rate is a solid 420 rpm.
interesting that the box fins descend straight and the part tube fins spiral (although you haven’t specified if this is universal, I.e some box fins may spiral and some curved fins glide.)

I am impressed you are getting rpm data, I presume high speed camera. Is there a difference between rpm rate and flight trajectory? I am holding out for my hypothesis that at certain spin rates (favor faster) the Magnus force of the fin can is either significantly higher or lower than the body, causing the rocket to swing more at one end than the other.

Differences in fin cans may do the same thing. Not sure if the effective wider fin can ENHANCES Magnus effect OR it spoils it due to turbulence.

You are sailing in interestingly spectacular unknown waters!

interesting that the box fins descend straight and the part tube fins spiral (although you haven’t specified if this is universal, I.e some box fins may spiral and some curved fins glide.)

I am impressed you are getting rpm data, I presume high speed camera. Is there a difference between rpm rate and flight trajectory? I am holding out for my hypothesis that at certain spin rates (favor faster) the Magnus force of the fin can is either significantly higher or lower than the body, causing the rocket to swing more at one end than the other.

Differences in fin cans may do the same thing. Not sure if the effective wider fin can ENHANCES Magnus effect OR it spoils it due to turbulence.

You are sailing in interestingly spectacular unknown waters!
By careful computer analysis on his high-end cellphone camera video, my associate was able to gradually refine the rpm from an estimated 250-500 rpm on most of the fleet to the confident figure we have for the Magnus Opus model and its variants. We are trying to gradually do more and better experiments on what started last year as an exotic amusement. We seldom have all the time and weather we need to proceed steadily, let alone rapidly on what is turning into hard rocket science. Stay tuned and build a few of your own! BT-5 sizes with 1/2A motors are quick and cheap to build and don't go too far, yet they can demonstrate the effect quite elegantly. We need all the help we can get in rowing this little boat in the Magnus Ocean.

DSC00550.jpg
Not an HSR rocket, but demonstrates useful paint scheme for seeing and counting spin rate. When the rocket assume HSR attitude after the ejection event, you will very clearly see a distinctive left/right/left flickering effect which is unmistakeable.

Last edited:
Flight and Recovery...... I keep waiting to see some flight photos.
My videographer spends most of his time in Oregon and Montana, so his time is hard to come by. I'll try to get a video out this week.

Note: the last time I tried to load a video to this forum, it wouldn't allow anything over 15 seconds or so.

Thaks for posting this. Really Impressive!

Does the motor pop out of the rocket at ejection?
The motor is taped firmly into the tube. If it popped out at ejection, the ejection "blow-over" event may not be strong enough to send the model gyrating and for the fins to catch crosswind air and start the spinning before the model went ballistic.

It stays attached, ejection charge goes out the hole in the side, just below the nose cone.
Correct. There is a single 1/4" punched hole immediately below the base of the nose cone (which is permanently fixed in place).

DSC00663.jpg

Be sure to apply some white glue or equivalent on the base of the nose cone before glueing it in place. This will prevent erosion from continual direct exposure to the ejection charge.

Testing with Gold Magnus at Dahl field this morning pointed us in new directions in investigating why some HSR models fly in spirals after apogee and why others take off for the horizon.
DSC00672.jpg
Dahl field, July 20th, 2022

Last edited:
Correct. There is a single 1/4" punched hole immediately below the base of the nose cone (which is permanently fixed in place).

View attachment 528443

Be sure to apply some white glue or equivalent on the base of the nose cone before glueing it in place. This will prevent erosion from continual direct exposure to the ejection charge.
Hey Dotini!

Sorry if I've missed keeping up with this thread, but awesome work! I'd love to try some version of this one day (as if my projects aren't backlogged enough lol😆).

Quick question...would it help to angle the vent so that the ejection actually initiates or induces spin?

Back