Quantcast

Horizontal electronics bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Reaction score
The usual electronics bay consists of a vertical slab with all kinds of sensors strapped to it.
Question is, if I have a large enough ID, could I fit all electronics flat onto the bulkhead in one or maybe two layers?
Would this increase the chance of the acceleration mess with the electronics or something?
If this could work it would save a lot of space.
Thank you for your time.

MJW

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Most (maybe all) commercial altimeters are programmed to to have a standard "vertical" orientation. If you want to change the orientation of the PCB to horizontal, you would need to change the software running on the flight computer. This is not to say that a horizontal orientation is impossible, just that it would require an in depth understanding and modification of the code running on the FC you're using prior to flight. Test any changes in a backup configuration prior to flying the FC as a primary.

Reaction score
Most (maybe all) commercial altimeters are programmed to to have a standard "vertical" orientation. If you want to change the orientation of the PCB to horizontal, you would need to change the software running on the flight computer. This is not to say that a horizontal orientation is impossible, just that it would require an in depth understanding and modification of the code running on the FC you're using prior to flight. Test any changes in a backup configuration prior to flying the FC as a primary.
My homemade altimeter has a barometric sensor and an accelerometer. If I just pointed the accelerometer up, I wouldn't need to worry about the barometer, right?
And thanks for your reply.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Only accelerometers require a vertical orientation. Barometer altimeters (most common) only measure air pressure which has no orientation. Mount it anyway you please.

Off Grid Gecko

Reaction score
It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that a lot of sounding rockets are laid out that way. Like a round bookshelf inside the nose cone. Each level/compartment is set up for a different thing, so like one would hold the gps reciever and antenna, another the flight computer, another the batteries, etc.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO the value of mounting one horizontally would mainly be if you wanted to do a single-break at the nose cone and eliminate the usual mid-mounted AV bay. For a typical dual-deploy rocket with a central AV bay, the coupler length has to be about 2C anyway, so unless you have a very fat rocket you're going to have more vertical room than horizontal.

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've done it with an Eggtimer Quark (barometric only) on a BT-80 (2.6") sized bulkhead. There is room for the altimeter, switch, and Lipo battery, it makes for a very simple AV bay.