Honey Badger 2 Build Thread and Flight to 57k!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob may be wrong about the initial roll reversals, but he is right in a sense because the video does display aliasing at 0:45. The rocket indeed was spinning extremely quickly.

Ablation? Coning? We can debate that, but the roll rate was indeed extreme.

This was a great flight, and I've been following this thread. The last few comments made me go back and reread the entire thread again and I have a few questions.

Did you use spin fins or was the spinning unintentional? My interpretation of the video is that you had a pretty high spin rate near apogee and had a lot of coning which indicates a dynamic instability. (The apparent rotation reversals are an aliasing effect of the video frame rate and the rotation rate. This effect is often seen when you see videos of a spinning mag wheel on a race car or of a prop on an airplane.)

I'm wondering if the coning arose from a little bit of fin misalignment coupled to a little bit of asymmetric thrust possibly due to uneven ablation of the Garolite CE phenolic nozzle producing off center thrust, of if the CG/CP ratio was marginal under the flight dynamics?

Bob

Thanks Bob! I didn't realize there was so much activity on this thread.

The spinning was unintentional - and blamed on poor fin alignment Our initial assessment of the motion near apogee was that is was coning as well. The CG/CP relationship was quite stable throughout the flight (I guess we owe you guys a RASAero file). The nozzle was surprisingly intact, however, the G10 leading edges were ablated/eroded quite badly and unevenly from fin to fin. This, combined with the small size of the fins and high apogee were the reason we thought the rocket was coning.

If you look at butalane's video in post 12, you can clearly see the periodic corkscrew in the exhaust plume from coning. To my eye it appears that the exhaust spiral is relatively evenly spaced. The rocket is accelerating up during the video and if the spacing doesn't increase, the spin rate has to be increasing (more complete revolutions per unit time) to account for the constant spacing.

Bob

I can't see any coning in the smoke trail. Do you mean long after burnout?

I've watched that video about 300 times and saw it up close when we flew and I couldn't tell the rocket was spinning at all.

More replies but it would've doubled the cost of the whole rocket!

Thanks for all your help: GPS, fin shape, and last minute tower advice were all key to making it a smooth flight!

Butalane, what guidance did you get on fin design? Planform? Airfoil? Construction?
Thanks

Inbox is empty.

James gave us some insight into the fin profile he chose for Incredulous and it helped us define the HB2 profile. The fins were just 0.125in G10 with carbon layups for attachment.

We just finished cutting the fin profiles for the next iteration of this rocket. Hoping to get the phenolic leading edges bonded on this weekend (they took forever to machine), I'll have to start another thread.

Last edited:
Ryan Sebastian 1988 - June 15th 2017

I first met Ryan in the forums on Rocketry Planet. He went by the name of RyanS. Ryan was not your typical snotty nosed kid that flew Estes rockets at the local park. Ryan got involved in Rocketry at the age of 8 thanks to his uncle and Dad. He flew back east and was very knowledgeable in Experimental Rocketry. Ryan graduated from college with a degree in Mechanical Engineering/ Aerospace. Shortly after gradating Ryan got a job with AeroJet and moved to Sacramento. Shortly after his move to Sacramento I got an email. "hey Tony where do you get all your Ex chems?" It wasn't to long after that, that he began having drums of "stuff" sent to my house. (it was easier for him to have it sent to my place and I did get in on the buy.) I'd be at work and get a call from my wife telling me there was another drum on our driveway.
In 2012 Ryan and his long time friend David Hailey began work on a series of rockets named Honey Badger. It was very interesting to see what some good high power rocket guys, with college degrees in Aerospace and working in the biz, could come up with.

2012 - Honey Badger1 40K 42G Mach 2.5 http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?42436-4-quot-Min-Diameter-Rocket&highlight=honey+badger

2013 - Honey Badger2 53K 51G Mach 3.1 http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?58793-Honey-Badger-2-Build-Thread-and-Flight-to-57k

2014 - Honey Badger 2.1 63K 69G Mach 3.9 Mass Fraction 0.53 http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...-Flight-to-63k-ft-M3-9&highlight=honey+badger

In 2014 Ryan joined SpaceX. Got married to his long time girlfriend Caitlin and was diagnosed with cancer. When we would talk on the phone it was mostly about rockets, research motors and what other people were up to. Ryan and Caitlin added a new member to their family on June 6th 2017. Little Charlie was born premature. 9 days later Ryan passed away with family and friends at his side.

I always try to make the best out of things when life sucks. I'm still trying to figure out the "good" on this!

see attached photo. Quote from Ryan's wife Caitlin about the photo

"These photos of Ryan were flown to space and returned aboard the first flight of booster serial number 1036 on June 25th, 2017. Ryan was a loved member of the SpaceX community and he will be profoundly missed."
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Tony Alcocer

Today I was glassing the booster tube for my 7.6" Patriot, I could not think about Ryan. I remember back when I was going to glass a tube for my LOC Magnum. Ryan wanted me to show him how it was done, so I went over to his house, and we glassed the tube out in his driveway. To bring the tube home, I just wrapped it with cellophane. He was a great kid, and I regret loosing touch with him after he left for college.

Thanks for posting this Tony, I think of Ryan often and agree that it’s hard to see the “good” in a life cut so short with so much ahead of him. He sure left his mark in the time he was here, it’s also pretty special to look back on these projects and remember him.

Back