Honest John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n1lul

Reaction score
I was pointed here by Jim at Flis Kits. I am hoping that some one here can help me.

I am search for the color scheme of a USMC Honest John. All I can find are test schemes and Army paint.

Is there any chance that the Marines used Army HJ's with out repainting them.

Thanks

Ray

Originally posted by N1LUL
I am search for the color scheme of a USMC Honest John.

I did not know that the Marines used the Honest John....... very interesting............

I didn't know the USMC used the HJ either. But I did find some proof on the Redstone Arsenal site......

"Jan 63 The United States Marine Corps (USMC) informed the Army that it was phasing out the HONEST JOHN system."

I just can't find any pictures of a USMC version. :confused:

Have you tried emailing the USMC public affairs/public relations office with a small request for maybe 1 pic???

Yes, the Marines did have Honest Johns.

The reason I am looking is that my father, Col. Raymond D. Wright, USMC(ret.), was a battery commander in the 60's. He had a hard time talking about his war(WW II, Korea) experiences, but he would go on and on about his Honest Johns. He was very supportive of my rocketry when I was a kid and showed a lot of interest when I returned to the hobby a few years ago.

When I returned to rocketry I always planned to build a Honest John and launch it for him during a visit, but I never got around to it. He passed away last year so this model is to honor his memory.

I am sure that he will be watching it and keeping the flight straight and the recovery close.:)

I posted my request on a couple of Marine forums and have recieved a picture which is very cool, but I could always use more documentation.

Thanks to All

Ray

So I too googled a USMC Honest John paint scheme for ya, and one of the many paint schemes that came up was one used by the Japanese in the Movie "Rodan"

Johnnie Paul

Yea, I have been googling(-2 sp) by brains out trying to get this data.

There some cool paint schemes out there but I wanted to be as close to scale as possible. This model, which is a Pubic Enemy 3" kit is just a warm up. My Level 3 is going to be a Performance Rocketry 9" Honest John!

In case you interested this is the picture I got from the awesome marines.

I have been searchg the image engines myself
I have been building an honest john also

Here is an interesting version I got from alta vista

notice how the faces and something in the sky has been retouched.I don't know the story of this version,it's from a german site

I haven't found a usmc version yet.
If I do I will be sure to post it . also thanks for posting your pic N1LUL,good luck with the project,

Originally posted by N1LUL
I was pointed here by Jim at Flis Kits. I am hoping that some one here can help me.

I am search for the color scheme of a USMC Honest John. All I can find are test schemes and Army paint.

Is there any chance that the Marines used Army HJ's with out repainting them.

Thanks

Ray

Glad you found the forum. Hope these guys can help you! I checked the photo pack that I got but it's the army version...

Back