Honest John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking HoJo! I'm also a fan of the Cox RTF version--really think Estes or others should produce another RTF HoJo. I think it would do great sales. Coolest looking rocket ever.

Starsky--wow, if that was my first rocket, I'd be super proud. Hell, it looks better than most of my builds now.

Tell us more about the custom touches that you put on this rocket.

Starsky--wow, if that was my first rocket, I'd be super proud. Hell, it looks better than most of my builds now.

Tell us more about the custom touches that you put on this rocket.
Thanks! I used to build plastic models many, many years ago. I added larger 1/8" streamlined launch lugs and Army paint and decals from Stickershock and others. I also upgraded the shock cord and parachute setup. The paint is the trickiest part. I'm getting much better at prepping and applying Enamels and Lacquers smoothly.

Your plastic modeling experience is evident. Fit and finish are spot-on. Good call on the upgraded parachute and shock cord. Most unsuccessful flights are caused by recovery issues.

Now, go fly that thing! Let us know how the rocket performs. Nice work. Love those Honest Johns!

Here is only flight pic I have from a Southern Thunder launch years ago on an Aerotech E composite! I’ve flown it many times. No black powder Ds though! Love this rocket too much!😉A6DDFCC1-CBEE-4C1D-ACC2-8D1D89C7E7C7.jpeg

Interestingly I haven't built the larger HJ since returning to the hobby but I do have a couple on the wall waiting. Like so many others I took advantage of the $3.13 sale and picked up a box of the Mini HJ. I've built 4 of them so far and given at least that many away.

I don't have pics of all of them but here are a couple of mine. The green one has the stock 13mm mount which is not enough motor for this kit. It also has the stock fins which are undersized.

The red one has the 18mm mount and fins that are enlarged slightly to look more like the larger scale rocket. This one really flies well on B6-6 motors.

15.jpg07012022 - 3.jpg

Here is an Honest John I made by kit-bashing an Estes Deep Space Transport many years ago. It is painted per one of the schemes in one of Peter Alway's books.HonestJohn.jpg

Attachments

• HonestJohn.jpg
    HonestJohn.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 1
Back