Honest John, Orbital Transport and Harpoon AGM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
i just picked them up from the local hobby shop.
i even got some $17 off the Honest John (already reduced) price.
i still think i overpaid, but i do like to support local business.

i got a bunch of D engines, too.
i'm tired of blowing up my good rockets with old motors...I'll use the old motors in cheapo rockets.

if i DO build the Honest John, it will be 29mm...
:D

so, the Harpoon seems well-suited to increased power levels...
i'm going to put a 24mm MMT in it and TTW thin plywood fins for use with the AT 24mm RMS/SU motors.

the orbital transport was an old favorite of mine, i may build it, or not...that sure looks like it needs D-power...
;)

I just finished these two rockets yesterday
ruggedrockets.jpg

pretty stout construction!

lemme see...
that's a MachBuster on the left...
24mm MMT
takes up to a G55 which puts it up to around a mile high...

umm..
Yellow and Red????
maybe a little black?
i think i'll never see it again if i use a big motor, but to be able to hit Mach speeds for cheap...not bad...

the other one is called the Chariot
pretty heavy rocket for a single 24mm motor...
i'm considering making the pods functional with 18mm motors

then i could launch it on a D12 or E9 BP motor with two C6-0s to help out

if a little bit is good, more's better, right?
:D

Nice rockets!

I bought one of those MachBuster kits also recently. What did you use for the MMT? I have only looked at mine but I have not tried to fit a MMT of any kind in there. Or, am I wrong in assuming that this is one of those kits that Dave Triano was selling?

At any rate, nice job and I look forward to the finished photos!

I totally agree that the HoJo needs 29mm. I will launch mine (24mm) on its first flight this weekend. I should have gone 29. At least I still have an E-15 set aside for it.

Len Bryan

The Harpoon AGM by Quest is a nice rocket!

My son and I built one, looked really nice! Then a tree ate it... :(

My boy was pretty disappointed. We had to hand cut the centering rings for the D engine mount out of 1/8" basswood because the quest tube is not a standard size (that you can buy standard, relatively available centering rings for) and we did it up just like the artwork on the insert card, except we painted the nose cone red instead of grey or silver. Looked really sharp with those blue accent stripes provided with the kit!

i used a 6" section of bt50 glued in place with JB Weld for the mmt
fins glued with JB Weld
got some kevlar shock cord with the harpoon model, so i'll use that with a couple more sections of bt50 for a low profile mount.
I'm thinking streamer recovery or 12" chute...

here it is painted
machbuster.jpg

i keep looking at it and thinking... *multi-staged*
D12-0 -> D12-0 -> C6-7
i'm sick...(in a good way)
:eek:

Elapid, that looks great! Nice colours.
Thanks for the MMT info. I was hoping that might work. My Mach Buster is in my storage locker. I have little room and can only work on a few at a time.

Good luck on the flight!

Oh yeah, I agree on the Orbital Transport, hard to decide if I should keep it or build it. I only have one. Maybe I need another one. :eek:

Len Bryan

I did the Harpoon up as a two-stager
24mm -> 18mm

i'll post a pic when it's painted

Back