Honest John MGR-1a Pics at Ft. Lewis, WA USA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooklord

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm still somewhat new to this site, so I wasn't quite sure where to post these photos.
I took a trip to Ft. Lewis in WA, which has a military museum on base.
As I am building a scale Honest John, I thought I would share the pictures I took for my research.

Some comments: It's a free museum, however since everything is outdoors and has been exposed to the elements for many decades, the vehicles and rockets on display are not "pristine" -- they are rusting, have moss growing on them as well as lots of clumsily applied paint to protect them.

Even so, it's always nice to see the real thing. Enjoy.

Attachments

• HonestJohn_1.jpg
    HonestJohn_1.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HonestJohn_2.jpg
    HonestJohn_2.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HonestJohn_3.jpg
    HonestJohn_3.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HonestJohn_4.jpg
    HonestJohn_4.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HonestJohn_5.jpg
    HonestJohn_5.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HonestJohn_6.jpg
    HonestJohn_6.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 0
  • HonestJohn_7.jpg
    HonestJohn_7.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HonestJohn_8.jpg
    HonestJohn_8.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HonestJohn_9.jpg
    HonestJohn_9.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HonestJohn_SpinRocketsDetail_1.jpg
    HonestJohn_SpinRocketsDetail_1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Always love to see photos of the Honest John. Most outdoor displays currently suffer from similar problems. Funding is just not there anymore, and maintenance is quickly becoming a real issue. It's a shame. The Honest John was America's first nuclear-capable missile. You'd think that alone would qualify it for a special status in museums, but it doesn't seem to.

I believe that Fort Lewis is where Scott Binder did all his photography and detailed measurements of the M31 Honest John. That work has resulted in some of the most realistic models ever done of the weapon. But until today, I hadn't see a lot of that display. Thank you for sharing them.

Back