• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Honest John Kits (Centuri, Cox, Etc.)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a huge collector/builder of anything related to the Honest John Missile. While my collection of these rockets is pretty large, there are still several that I'm looking for. Willing to pay any reasonable price, and perhaps some that are not reasonable--just don't tell my wife.

Centuri #KC-25 (will consider well built versions as well.)
Cox Honest John (Rocket or Starter Set) Kit 5050
Public Enemy Honest John
Estes Kit #27 (1966-1979)

If you have any of these, and are willing to part with them, please send me a message. Love those HoJo's!

Bump (again). My wife says that admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. I just point to that 9.5" carbon fiber, 100lb version that flew a few weeks back--and say, "No...that guy has a problem." :)

Still looking. Thanks for the bandwidth.

Aaron,

You can never have too many HoJos! Though my wife would point out that I already have two of the #2166. My response is that there are about ten valid prototype painting variations (more if you count static displays). :)

Price? Condition?

I’ve never been a fan of the HoJo until I nabbed this one off of here from someone for $95 shipped. Public Enemy 3” HoJo that I outfitted with 3D printed parts to bring it closer to scale. It loves an H550. You could probably scratch build this kit easily. The nose is a boat tail and nose cone together and there’s a rocksim file of it out there.

Attachments

• F6A7E3FA-9B08-4B5D-88C3-54DD4C8C0B05.jpeg
    F6A7E3FA-9B08-4B5D-88C3-54DD4C8C0B05.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 66
I don't own the Public Enemy 3" HoJo, though I would love to add one to my collection. That's a great looking rocket! Nice detail on the 3D printed parts. Boyce Aerospace has recently been adding detail parts for things like the Estes Maxi-Brute HoJo kit.

I really think there is an opportunity for 3D printing to improve a number of scale kits.

The printed pieces are from Boyce and they work perfectly. Got scale shoes and rail button standoffs that match. The kit was old enough that it came with a brass 1/2” launch lug lol. Someone on the forum recreated the Maxi Pershing from 3D printing the nose and stuff

Bump. Still looking for these HoJo kits. Did score a built Centuri HoJo in great shape--but would love to find more. If you have a HoJo kit or built model that you're ready to part with, please let me know.

Scott cobbled together a HoJo kit for me last year, but it required modifying two nose cones to make the distinctive look of the Honest John. Looking at this model, it's clear that the nose cone is an improvement. I'm tempted to pick up another one!

Thanks for alerting me!

Will also consider well-built Honest Johns, especially larger high power versions, and rarer examples such as Public Enemy, Centuri KC-25,
Estes #27, etc.

If you've got a 5-9 foot HoJo that you flew twice on an "M" or "O" taking up space in the garage, I'm your guy!

Great news for fans of America's first nuclear-capable missile: Scott Binder not only upgraded his 4/5.5" Honest John kit with a even more detailed nose cone, he also created a new line of 18mm low-power kits that mirror his larger models.

Among these is the "Lil Honest John" and the detailing is first rate.

View attachment 419090View attachment 419090

Just ordered two these which are very reasonably priced. Get them now!

KIT SPECIFICATIONS....
Based on the full-size 4” SBR Honest John, this mini version is
a super-detailed performer! Streamer recovery (parachute
can be added), laser-cut plywood fins, laser-slotted thick
airframe tube, plastic 3D-printed nosecone, and 18mm
motor mount make assembly super easy. Strong kevlar
string shock cord, mylar streamer, mini rail guides, and all
the details that make an SBR Honest John look so realistic!

DIAMETER: 1.2"
LENGTH: 18.75"
MOTOR MOUNT: 18mm
WEIGHT: 3 - 3.5 oz.
Streamer Recovery
RECOMMENDED MOTORS: A3-4, B4-4, B6-6,
C12-8, D16-8

Designed by Scott Binder

P.S. Rumor has it that Scott is also offering 18mm sized versions of other SBR HPR kits, but I was so mesmerized by the HoJo I didn't really notice.

https://www.fusionrocket.biz/store/?model_number=LHJO

Bump. Still looking for Honest Johns. Kits or built in good condition. Would love to find a larger Hojo built for dual-deploy. Don't have one of those in the collection yet.

The new 4/5.5" 54mm 5 foot tall Honest John kit from Scott Binder (SBR) continues to amaze. 3-D printed nose cone arrived in the mail today along with range box stickers, and a SBR pen.

https://www.fusionrocket.biz

Without a doubt, the SBR Hojo has the most scale detail of any kit currently available of America's first nuclear capable missile. The instruction book might be more amazing than the kit itself. Printed on slick, substantial weight paper this bound booklet has a lot of heft. Filled with beautiful full-color photographs, large diagrams, and detailed instructions for assembly, it's a work of art.

It also includes scale data, and a nice photograph of the Honest John on its distinctive launcher vehicle.

Scott continues to set the standard for what high power kits can be.

Received two of the SBR Lil' Honest John kits in 18mm. Beautiful kit--can't wait to build one.

SBR Fusionrocket Lil Honest John Kit LHJO.jpg

I’m not really a fan of the HoJo, but for some strange reason I want that SBR kit. It doesn’t seem to have much in the decal department, though, does it? At least, not as much as I’ve seen on others.

And a +1 on the instructions. I built a SBR Diablo as my first real HP rocket (my L1 was a stock built Estes Mammoth), and have to say that Scott’s instruction booklets are fantastic.

I really like the SBR kits. The Diablo has endured some pretty punishing flights. Now I want that HoJo, and also the Fusion.

It really depends on which of the many HoJo paint schemes you're going for. The "field" version of the Honest John in Olive Drab #34087 had either no markings at all--or small warhead markings in either white or black.

You also could chose the "test round" paint schemes flown at White Sands Missile Range in either white or red/orange (my favorite).

Another favorite of mine is the West German version of the Honest John paint scheme, which can be seen here:

West German Honest John

Love the two-tone nose cone with the red tip, and the reddish/orange strips on one of the tail fins. You'll note that only the booster had any markings, and they are in white stencil.

Stickershock can easily provide those. SBR has included all kinds of details like the rail launcher standoffs (prototype and model rocketry functional versions), spin jets, hatch, bands, etc. Many of these details are missing from other kits.

One of the best things about the Honest John is that it's instantly recognizable by its silhouette alone. Cannot recommend a kit more highly than this one. Enjoy the build!

Yeah, it’s the sticker shock markings I’m familiar with. That and the red/white version that Estes sells.

You don’t have to sell me on this kit! One of the reasons I’ve been very slow to get into HPR is that most of the ones I see people fly are 4FNC, and I find them kind of boring. I’m building a couple like that just to learn the techniques, but I need a little more to keep me interested. The SBR HoJo does that. So does the Sirius Saturn V sitting in my closet, but that’s for another thread.

Most of the kits that have been sold over the years included markings like "US Army" and/or "Honest John." The only place I've ever seen those are on static displays of the weapon at museums.

The weapon itself was designed to be destroyed, so painted olive drab only to prevent corrosion during storage. Any markings were limited to either the warhead motor casing.

Lettering on the White Sands test rounds (black & white paint scheme) was usually confined to the warhead serial number painted lengthwise on the ogive and considering of the numbers "1236F-" followed by the serial number of the round. For example:

1236F-M521

The word "TOP" in black appeared just forward of the upper launch lug.

Sometimes (not always or often based on photographs) the serial number of the motor and the weight, CG location, and other data would be stenciled in black letters that were 3" or 1" on the side of the motor casing.

Most of the model rocket kits that have been issued contain paint schemes that were never or rarely used on prototype rounds.

I'd love to see Peter Alway tackle a booklet on the various paint schemes used on the Honest John, similar to his booklet on paint schemes for the V2. It would make for a great subject.

For recovery purposes, the Reddish/Orange test round scheme used at White Sands Missile Range is the easiest to find in tall grass. Plus it looks great.

honest_john_01.jpg

Great news for fans of America's first nuclear-capable missile: Scott Binder not only upgraded his 4/5.5" Honest John kit with a even more detailed nose cone, he also created a new line of 18mm low-power kits that mirror his larger models.

Among these is the "Lil Honest John" and the detailing is first rate.

View attachment 419090View attachment 419090

Just ordered two these which are very reasonably priced. Get them now!

KIT SPECIFICATIONS....
Based on the full-size 4” SBR Honest John, this mini version is
a super-detailed performer! Streamer recovery (parachute
can be added), laser-cut plywood fins, laser-slotted thick
airframe tube, plastic 3D-printed nosecone, and 18mm
motor mount make assembly super easy. Strong kevlar
string shock cord, mylar streamer, mini rail guides, and all
the details that make an SBR Honest John look so realistic!

DIAMETER: 1.2"
LENGTH: 18.75"
MOTOR MOUNT: 18mm
WEIGHT: 3 - 3.5 oz.
Streamer Recovery
RECOMMENDED MOTORS: A3-4, B4-4, B6-6,
C12-8, D16-8

Designed by Scott Binder

P.S. Rumor has it that Scott is also offering 18mm sized versions of other SBR HPR kits, but I was so mesmerized by the HoJo I didn't really notice.

https://www.fusionrocket.biz/store/?model_number=LHJO
The printed nose cone required a bit of finishing, but I really like the SBR Lil' HoJo...

IMG_7500.JPG

Nice work Wally! That's a great looking Honest John. Look at all the scale details on that kit. The nose cone is 3-D printed and ships as a dark gray color with some surface texture. It requires sanding before it can be finished..much like the Boyce Aerospace HoJos, which are also great.

Having built the SBR Lil' Honest John kit yet, but with the Boyce kits, I find that #320 grit, followed by #400 grit (wet) produces good results.

Nice work Wally! That's a great looking Honest John. Look at all the scale details on that kit. The nose cone is 3-D printed and ships as a dark gray color with some surface texture. It requires sanding before it can be finished..much like the Boyce Aerospace HoJos, which are also great.

Having built the SBR Lil' Honest John kit yet, but with the Boyce kits, I find that #320 grit, followed by #400 grit (wet) produces good results.
I used some #80 grit to get it relatively smooth then a coat of finishing epoxy, followed by sanding with a #320. I actually picked up a bench belt sander for the fins on the SBR 4/5.5" kit. It will get other use, but that was the catalyst. 😁

One of our section members told me that he recently used #100 grit sandpaper to do first sanding on one of the Boyce Aerospace 3-D printed Honest Johns. I'm probably too chicken to just go for it. :ghosty:

Based on your experience (and his) I'll try the #100 grit for the nose cone on the SBR 'Lil Honest John. Thanks for the tip.

Belt sander? That might be too brave for my ulcer!

Considering the fins are plywood skinned on both sides with balsa, and then shaped to the HoJo diamond airfoil, I need something to get it close, so I can then finish manually without having to sand for hours... It makes me nervous, but I fear the alternative would be fins with a rounded leading and trailing edge but no diamond profile. I just plan to take my time, maybe come up with some kind of jig to prevent over-sanding. I keep looking at Fliskits Micro Maxx Honest John, but it has been out of stock since I've been looking.

Back