[Homeowner] Replacement motor for powered attic fan?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi troops-

So the motor has died up there and what I'm looking for is a GOOD replacement that will last several years. Many of the typical ones found at H.D. etc have pretty piss poor reviews. Anyone know of a quality one to be had? Thanks.

Ditto -- died just before the heat wave - will be watching this thread.
I'd love to replace mine from below - just swap out the motor, but will see what we learn here.

Electric motors have gotten to be very expensive. I've purchased a fair amount of used motorized tools from Craigslist simply to have the motor.

You might find it cheaper to buy a whole new unit and just take the motor from it and swap it into your old unit. I do that with our ceiling exhaust fan in the bathroom as well as for our stove fan.

Otherwise, McMaster-Carr and Grainger have plenty of good motors, but are indeed very expensive. One of the good things about the higher quality motors is that they typically have spare parts available if they go bad versus the cheap over sea's built motors.

I have had some limited luck going to farm supply stores like Tractor-Supply and Southern States and buying electric motors. Sometimes you have to do a little mental work to come up with an equivalent replacement.

Hi troops-

So the motor has died up there and what I'm looking for is a GOOD replacement that will last several years. Many of the typical ones found at H.D. etc have pretty piss poor reviews. Anyone know of a quality one to be had? Thanks.

Details? depending on the motor, different sources may apply.

I'll second the recommendation for McMaster Carr or Grainger.

I have been in the HVAC field for 25+ years and I can share with you my personal experience as to why you should NOT replace your fan and abandon it completely.

PM me if you are really interested

Last edited:
CVANC

You can try checking with an electric motor suppler around your local and they will remove the old motor and put a new motor in your frame .
I got one like that for my electric furnace the company installed it in my old squirrel cage ( all i had to do was slide the squirrel cage back in when I got home )
and the company gave a 3 year warranty !

Back