Homemade recovery wadding?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to try this.
IIRC I remember reading that Vern Estes would make his own wadding by soaking toilet paper in a fireproofing solution, but don't know what that solution was.
I liked the suggestion in the video to use lettuce for recovery wadding. Biodegradable, sustainable and environmentally friendly.
And if you have a misfire you can put it on your BLT. Cheers.
Most likely a solution of boric acid (roachkiller) and borax when supersaturated into hot water it makes just about any cloth flame reistant (difficult to start burning and immediately self extinguishes when the source of flame is removed). I have used that solution for quite a while of some canvas chute protectors I made and test several years ago.

The ingredients iirc are fairly safe, in large enough doses they are toxic, so dont breath the powders, drink or bath in the solution or pour it in your eyes.....:)
Boric acid is also a naturally occuring chemical.

7oz Borax
3oz Boric Acid (Roach killer powder, needs to be pure boric acid, no other pesticides)
2qts water

Heat water and stir in other ingredients until dissolved, then soak the roll of tissue or paper towels or whatever and allow to dry. As the water cools some of the solids will precipitate out. The paper or cloth after drying should no longer support flame, a torch placed on it will burn it but it will go out as soon as torch is removed.

Last edited:
An alternative to wading...

I'm using barf in all my birds now. It is slightly more of a pita, but it disperses to something almost unnoticeable by the time it reaches the ground; whatever remains gets washed up when the rains come.

fm

Last edited:
This sounds like an Amatuer wadding, but it is NOT........................Lettuce.

The Moisture makes it flameproof and it can be used in a LPR/Small MPR Rockets, It is easy to tear, and is PERFECTLY BIODEGRADEABLE.

This sounds like an Amatuer wadding, but it is NOT........................Lettuce.

The Moisture makes it flameproof and it can be used in a LPR/Small MPR Rockets, It is easy to tear, and is PERFECTLY BIODEGRADEABLE.

Also it is even recommended in Grant Thompson's video

Ejection baffles are the way to go...no wadding needed at all....but for real small rockets under BT-50 its not practical, then you need a little wadding. For that I made wadding by spraying Charmin Toilet paper with boric acid/borax solution. One roll makes a boatload...
Procedure: https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Flame-retardant/
1. Find a large table...Cover with a thick towel.
2. lay out strips of TP about six feet long.
3. Spray lightly with boric acid solution.
The sprayer needs to make a fine mist.
4. Carefully drape over a clothes line to dry.
5. Repeat till roll is used up. (I needed about a cup of solution)
6. When dry tear apart each square and put inside a Tissue box...

I just checked here In Rapid City …………. Lowes has Green Fiber for $6.89 for a large bag !! How can You beat that ??
I doubt you can make it at home with Toilet paper and Boric Acid/Borax for less

I am going to Lowes...……..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GreenFiber-R-19-Blown-In-Insulation-Sound-Barrier/3227256
I still use a single sheet of flameproof wadding as a "cup" for the dog barf, funny thing is that on some rockets it get to reuse the whole wadding ball as is doesnt get pushed out of the tube. I have had the same bag of dog barf for like 5 years and barely a dent in it, and the boric acid borax is pretty cheap and lasts a really long time, especially if made in smaller quantities so not much gets wasted.

I liked the suggestion in the video to use lettuce for recovery wadding. Biodegradable, sustainable and environmentally friendly.

Heh I mentioned that to my wife as I thought it was funny. She reminded me that a head of lettuce costs more than a pack of toilet paper and does not last nearly as long :D

This comment aged well.

If you are not looking to mess with Borax or Boric Acid, you can simply mix baking soda in water then soak toilet paper or paper towels in it and let it dry. I have done both the TP and paper towels and prefer 2 ply paper towels from the dollar store.

Mix 1/4 cup of baking soda into 1 cup of warm water and mix well. Let the mix sit for a few minutes to settle out. Next, tear off the paper towels and lay them flat in a some type of pan. Pour the Baking soda / water mix over the paper towels and let it sit for a few minutes. Drain off the excess back into a cup. Take the paper towels outside and let them dry in the sun. Once dry they are ready to use.

I've used this with great success on about 40 flights so far.

Last edited:
I use the baking soda, water, and paper towel method. I'll soak full sheets, run a line in the shop and drape the wet paper towels over the line. Dries overnight, and then I cut it in 4th's. Works great.

Back