Homemade propellant vacuum mixer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrej

Reaction score
After years of making sugar propellants I was finally able to purchase some ammonium perchlorate. First thing I did was to build a vacuum propellant mixer. The basic construction is made from welded steel beams. Electric motor was bought second hand and most of other parts are salvaged from different sources. Mixing paddle can be replaced if needed, as well as mixing bowl. While mixing the bowl can be heated for reduced viscosity- this is controlled by a temperature controller. The mixer is almost done, the only thing left is some electrical wiring. The next two items already getting built are a vibration table and a propellant curing oven.

IMG_20171210_151417_preview.jpeg.jpgIMG_20171210_151428_preview.jpeg.jpgIMG_20171210_151439_preview.jpeg.jpgIMG_20171210_151525_preview.jpeg.jpg

Super cool. But why is the bowl so small?
How do you seal the bearing?
How much vacuum can you hold?

Very professional looking setup...nice work. I would like to get into mixing propellant but it's not practical at this stage so I buy commercial. Bottom line I know very little about the process, however is there a need to have a variable speed mix, or is just off/on, high/low?

Very professional looking setup...nice work. I would like to get into mixing propellant but it's not practical at this stage so I buy commercial. Bottom line I know very little about the process, however is there a need to have a variable speed mix, or is just off/on, high/low?

This is really a question for the EX forum, but to answer generally, the goal is to keep the mix at the lowest speed, otherwise you end up whipping air into the mix. Yes you can vacuum it out, but why create more work.

FYI- I use a kitchenaid mixer (5 quart) that I got off craigslist for 100$. I've made anywhere from G->K motors (and one L) on it.

This is really a question for the EX forum, but to answer generally, the goal is to keep the mix at the lowest speed, otherwise you end up whipping air into the mix. Yes you can vacuum it out, but why create more work.

FYI- I use a kitchenaid mixer (5 quart) that I got off craigslist for 100$. I've made anywhere from G->K motors (and one L) on it.

Would be appropriate for the Research forum but no recipes or mixtures are being discussed so technically O.K. Going into direct techniques, probably should be
moved into the closed forum. Just my 2 cents. Kurt

Would be appropriate for the Research forum but no recipes or mixtures are being discussed so technically O.K. Going into direct techniques, probably should be
moved into the closed forum. Just my 2 cents. Kurt

Yes, this should be moved to the Research forum. But, I suspect the original poster could not get access.

sure would hate to have someone learn about a mixer...

I just seems odd to me that a machine should be moved to a closed section of the forum because it is used for mixing diy propellants.

I just seems odd to me that a machine should be moved to a closed section of the forum because it is used for mixing diy propellants.

I don't disagree with you, in fact all of this stuff and more is easily available on the internet. However I know TRF generally likes to air on the side of caution when it comes to ITAR, which I think is the best practice.

sure would hate to have someone learn about a mixer...

Not much purpose to saying "look at my mixer" without discussing its purpose and its merits (good or bad). Can't do that without running into the forum rules.

the goal is to keep the mix at the lowest speed, otherwise you end up whipping air into the mix. Yes you can vacuum it out, but why create more work.

Benefits of vacuum mixing.... the higher speeds actually whip the air out of the mix.

Back