Homemade Model Rocket Launch with onboard Gopro Camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwise1

Reaction score
I recently built a model rocket with the capacity to launch a GoPro 1300ft into the air.

[video=youtube;AKCJOxggPLc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKCJOxggPLc[/video]

I'm sure most of you are already rocketry experts so I won't try to teach too much...

The rocket I built was 4' tall and 3in in diameter. I used two F15 estes motors. In addition the nose cone was made 100% of paper, I glued multiple sheets of craft paper to create a pliable cardboard like substance ( which I wrapped into a cone). My Parachute was made from a trash bag. Shock cord from a rubber band. My fins were thin sheets of cardboard. In the rocket itself I have less than $5 invested. ( Main coast was the engines)

For those of you who want to hear more.....:)
To determine what size solid fuel engine I should use, I weighed my rocket and then tripled that weight. For a rocket of my size I needed the engine to have a average thrust of 30 Newtons. In addition, to reach a height you desire, you have to look at another factor as well. The total impulse, this is a measurement of the average thrust times the total time of firing (ie. sec). This measurement will determine the total amount of energy (impulse) the engine will provide. In the end, I went with two F15 size engines. (15 equaling the average thrust in N). My rocket reached expected height and the engines performed flawlessly.

One more thing I should mention.. Each model rocket engine comes with an ejection charge ( I am sure you all know this :). At the rocket apogee this ejection charge will back fire up the rocket tube creating a pressurization charge which will eject the recovery device. I this video it is clear that my parachute did not deploy. When the engine chamber reached very hot temperatures my glue points began to weaken. So that when the ejection charge fired the pressurization build up simply shot the engines out the back of the rocket instead of deploying the parachute.

Here is good example of the rocket I made to launch my GoPro: https://www.instructables.com/id/GoPro-Model-Rocket/

Please take the time to watch the vid!

nice video, where abouts are you located, & welcome to this site!

Very nice video to have for your first post here. Those instructables seem to fall a little short on the motor retention part. You should be able to pick up some tips here for a better recovery next time. When you say your glue points weakened, I assume you mean around the motor mount, right ? . What glue did you use and how long a time between assembly and launch ? Any damage other than the rocket ? Did you recover the motors ?

Very nice video to have for your first post here. Those instructables seem to fall a little short on the motor retention part. You should be able to pick up some tips here for a better recovery next time. When you say your glue points weakened, I assume you mean around the motor mount, right ? . What glue did you use and how long a time between assembly and launch ? Any damage other than the rocket ? Did you recover the motors ?

The worst possible glue... hot glue... lol (stupid mistake) I like it because I have tons of it and it drys fast.

Yes, around the motor mounts.

Only the first few inches of the top of the body tube was damaged ( the nose cone had been ejected ) (also for those of you who wonder... i spun the video footage around on the rockets descent, since it plummeted to the ground upside down)

No sign of the motors anywhere...

Back