Homemade launch lugs!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Brian Johnson

Fly29mm
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you know I found a thick wall motor mount tube and rings in my very small parts box. After some sanding I made it all fit in an old beat up LOC 2.14 tube. I needed some launch lugs however there were none it my parts box. What to do? Make some so I retrieved a couple of bic writing pens from the kitchen drawer. It was the caps I was interested in. I cut one piece of plastic from each of the pens. I used thick superglue to tack each to it correct position to the old LOC tube. It's not coming off!
upload_2020-2-27_10-59-0.png

upload_2020-2-27_11-14-14.png

Attachments

Back_at_it

Reaction score
Here in IL. most restaurants have switched to heavy wall paper straws. These are just a tiny bit larger than the 3/16 rod. I've grabbed a few and used them on a couple of Alpha 3 rebuilds. Seem to work fine.

Brian Johnson

Fly29mm
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here in IL. most restaurants have switched to heavy wall paper straws. These are just a tiny bit larger than the 3/16 rod. I've grabbed a few and used them on a couple of Alpha 3 rebuilds. Seem to work fine.
That's a good idea I'll have to find some.

ThreeJsDad

Reaction score
Fly rod guides are cheap and you could order a bunch of one size.

I have gone to Micro Buttons on pretty much all my builds. I get 10 for under $1.50, I just got 20 more this week. I really like the micro rail.

Once upon a time I rolled paper lugs.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Paper straws are great, and they attach easily with white or wood glue. They are a little bit oversized, so obviously not for competition models, but for sport models they work well.

Brian Johnson

Fly29mm
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Fly rod guides are cheap and you could order a bunch of one size.

I have gone to Micro Buttons on pretty much all my builds. I get 10 for under $1.50, I just got 20 more this week. I really like the micro rail.

Once upon a time I rolled paper lugs.
what type do you use? there are so many I don't know what to select when I do a search.

ThreeJsDad

Reaction score
what type do you use? there are so many I don't know what to select when I do a search.
I would look at something like these. https://www.mudhole.com/Minima-Fly-...F?fragment=/Minima-Fly-Running-Guides-Model-F I have used them quite a bit for building fly rods. They hold up well, are very light and the price isn't horrible. If you have a Micro Rail available I would definitely encourage you to head that direction. The micro buttons are even cheaper and the rail is quite stiff.