Homemade decal printing size question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
What I mean is -

I found a .pdf file on Jim Z.'s website with printable decals (Mars Snooper), and I have some decal paper (Testor's - heard both good and bad) but how do I ensure that I print them in the proper scale? If there was a little 1" ruler or legend for scale, it would be easy...

Stephen

I've always had good luck with pdf's, but print out a test copy on a piece of paper if you aren't sure. That should give you an idea of where you stand.

Originally posted by Fishhead
I've always had good luck with pdf's, but print out a test copy on a piece of paper if you aren't sure. That should give you an idea of where you stand.

Do you mean that it might be safe to assume that a decal from a .pdf from that website is already to scale? I have printed some test copies, but how do I know if they are the right size? They look to be pretty close by eye, but...

Bushrat...yes, most of the decals are up to scale, but always print a two tone test sheet...also watch your PDF settings as sometimes the "fit to page" box is checked, rather than 100% scale. Make sure you are printing the correct scale.

Carl

Thanks for the info...

This'll be my first attempt at homemade decals - so my fingers are crossed...

Stephen

The *.pdf files are correctly scaled, as far as I can tell.

I've also found that most *.tif decal files on both Jim Z's and www.rocketshoppe.com are correctly scaled as well. (this also applies to fin scans.)

This may sound crazy, but an CHAD way to print the *.tif files (if I may borrow the acronym "CHAD") without distorting them and without purchasing expensive software is to open the *.tif file with Microsoft Paint (which is an accessory in Windows) and then print it.

Don't be alarmed when you open the file and it looks HUGE, it will print to the right scale. Heck, you can conveniently upscale/downscale them with the paint program too.

It helps to make a test copy on regular paper .I do this everytime before I print on decal paper .It's too expensive.
you can cut out the images and make sure they fit ..(bands,stripes ..ect)

Back