Homebuild "Valkyrie"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon_rider10

Reaction score
Here's the third installment of "What to do with a Designer's Special".

This one is a mixed bag. A fighter sized craft inspired by the B-70.

DSC02792.JPG

I created the engine nacelles with a simple mitre box and razor saw. I'm not sure what original kit the nosecone is from, but the whole nose, canards and all is molded plastic from the Designers Special.

DSC02795.JPG

I also used a creative masking technique- balling up small bunches of masking tape and stuck them all over. The gaps created a fun looking camo. I also used some spare F-18 decals to complete the military look.

DSC02796.JPG

At first it was one of my best fliers doing great on A8-3, B6-4 and C6-5, but after the fifth launch or so, started to get squirrelly. This was after someone who shall remain nameless stepped on it and broke a fin. I fixed it up and all seemed fine, but after an embarassing public flight in Bunnell, she has been retired. I suspect that my lug position is also part of the problem. I have had more than one instance where it locked up on the pad.

Valkyrie-John-Bishop-B6-4-A.jpg

Valkyrie-John-Bishop-B6-4-B.jpg

Based on fellow rocketeer's input, I may rework a larger version with a longer body tube and move the lug closer to the centerline; embedding it in a nacelle perhaps.

Always keep the lug as close to center line as possible. I often hide the lug in a scoop or nacelle as you call it if my design has one.

I've got a new version of the Valkyrie with a longer body tube and more positive launch lug placement. Photos to come soon. I'm trying to figure out where the nose cone originated. It's an Estes cone that came with my Designer's Special. Does anyone recognize it from an existing/ OOP kit?

OOP "Nemesis" is where the nose cone is from, I think.
I like the engine nacelles, nice job.

Ok i now have photos of the upgraded Valkyrie II. None are very good so you'll have to deal.

This is the it in a primer coat, ready to fly for the first time.

DSC04162.JPG

This is it after paint and finishing.

100_2746.JPG

Here's another angle showing the fins and nacelles.

100_2747.JPG

Waiting for clear skies to get some launch pics.

Ok i now have photos of the upgraded Valkyrie II. None are very good so you'll have to deal.

This is the it in a primer coat, ready to fly for the first time.

DSC04162.JPG

This is it after paint and finishing.

100_2746.JPG

Here's another angle showing the fins and nacelles.

100_2747.JPG

Waiting for clear skies to get some launch pics.

Awesome rocket! Can't wait for the clear skies

Thanks!
The camo is brush painted and the decals are leftover from an F-104 PMC I tried (and crashed).

New photos from a successful launch day. Great on B6-4, corkscrewy on C6-5. Recovery is interesting, almost glides back under the chute.

100_2757.JPG

100_2758.JPG

100_2762.JPG

Last edited:
Back