Homebrew GPS Tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm please to report that I've updated the entire codebase for this project (after much feedback from folks here). It is available here:

https://github.com/gregoryhuber/GPSRocketTracker
It now includes support for logging from the base unit to a PC in realtime (for mapping) and onboard SD card recording, as well as much improved information screens on the receiver/base unit. (See photo below of the three information screens: A=Transmitter (rocket), B=Base unit, and C=Walk you to your rocket navigation.) I have some slow python code for realtime graphing in the works, along with playing back saved data on a visual map. The entire unit weights

I still use my Eggfinder, but have had fun with this and you can field configure the frequency using the Arduino IDE. We flew 3 of these on 8 flights to a total of 35K at URFF and we got good altitude data on the way up, even at Mach .8. One unit was in a rocket that shredded and the bare GPS unit gave us good location data laying in the field.

One design fits in 24mm tube, which has made me feel comfortable flying some little rockets even near soybeans. It weighs 33 grams with battery.

And, for those who occasionally lose rockets, the cost of the transmitter is $70 bare parts, but so far of the 25 rockets I've launched with the GPS in it, only two have landed out of sight. Once I remove the GPS they just disappear...

DisplayScreenExamples.jpgTransmitter_Narrow_Front.jpg
Transmitter_Narrow_Back.jpg

Back