Home made noise maker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket Flier VB

Reaction score
I'm trying to make my own noise maker from a damaged one. I have the 1/2" piezo buzzer, 12volt (small) battery holder and a male / female phono jack.

The problem I am having is that I cannot figure out how to make the pull pin (phono jack) activate the buzzer. Does anyone have an idea how to make this work?

Eric Fadely

it depends where you solder the wires. The jacks I have seen are clear so you can see where the connection is being made. Then you just solder the wires accordingly so when you pull the pin the little rod inside completes the connection

Then I'll have to get another type of jack. Incerting the pin on this one makes the connection. This was the only small phono jack Radio Shack has. That place has sure gone down the toilet.

Eric F.

Not to start a Radio Shack bashing thread, but they have basically turned into an over-sized wireless phone kiosk. And most of their employees know about as much about electronics as my grandmother. I went in a few weeks ago looking for a certain project box. The woman looked at me like I was a nut, literally. I had to show here what a project box was and then she wanted to know what it was used for. She admitted that she had no idea they had those and then laughed. I replied by telling her how ridiculous it was that someone could have a job selling something and not even know what they were selling, then I walked away. She didn't think it was very funny.

I think the Home Depot near my house forwards all rejected applications to Radio Shack.

Originally posted by Rocket Flier VB
That place has sure gone down the toilet.

OK, then, all you electron-heads out there, where are some good places where I can mail-order some electrical components these days (in ones and twos, not by the trainload)?

I can't promise a reply that will be what you want, but if you could give me an idea of the sort of components you're looking for, I MAY be able to help.

Of course checking the link to make sure I wrote it right and checking to see where the buzzer was, I found out it was sold out. Anyway the part number was ES-12

Eric F.

Originally posted by Rocket Flier VB
I'm trying to make my own noise maker from a damaged one.
I guess it was bad luck for you that Brad found his Talon... ;)

Actually, he felt bad that it ran for such a long time that he bought me a new one. Just got it today. I told him it wasn't necessary but he felt that since the batteries were brazed in he would just get me another unit. I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth :D

Brad, if you subscribe to this forum, thanks again.

Eric

Back