Home Field Advantage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering working with my local club on the feasibility of hosting a few family/scout friendly launches on a piece of property I own.

It's not in city limits, but the city/county line is across the road. There is a major highway along the southern edge.

I can draw a circle on the property 1,000 ft. in diameter, but that does include a house and barn ( also owned by me ).

My thought would be to allow up to 160Ns total thrust; up to 125 grams of propellant; up to 1,500 grams total weight. I'm ambivalent on clusters / staging, obviously no EX.

Does this seem plausible? What would your major concerns be?

EDIT: hospital heliport ~1.5mi away, small county airport ~9mi away.

Last edited:
Based on your limitations, it's a FAR 101 site, so you don't need to do and FAA waiver. It would probably be good form to talk to the hospital heliport, especially if they fly over your property regularly. The county airport is probably only an issue if you're right under an approach path. I don't remember minimum site dimensions and whether they cover occupied houses, but that's a pretty easy lookup.

I -think- I should be clear with NHTSA, CPSC, NFPA, FAA, BATFE, NAR, & TRA :)

Sparkies, hybrids, avg. thrust > 80Ns: can any of these be allowed under FAR101 for fliers w/ appropriate credentials? I'll keep collating lists of constraints.

Definitely would notify both airfields out of general politeness.

Last edited:
If you're at 1,000 ft dimensions, doesn't that limit you to single G motors per the NAR safety code (potential issue if you're counting on NAR insurance coverage)?

If you're at 1,000 ft dimensions, doesn't that limit you to single G motors per the NAR safety code (potential issue if you're counting on NAR insurance coverage)?
Ayup, hence the 160Ns total impulse limit. If I had a few hundred feet norther I could probably squeeze in G-G clustering & staging 1500ft dia circle, but not as-is.

Maybe later when I get to know the neighbors a bit better :)

Come to think of it doesn't the existing field size limit me to 2000ft AGL less 10%? On a lot of this stuff I half-remember various clubs' rules in with the real deal.

Back