Holy Persistence, Batman!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you/Were you/Did you

• Never seen any, but have employed the trope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only now understand it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's a persistent trope: "Holy <fill in the blank>, Batman!"

The show* ran for only three seasons, 120 episodes, ending production in 1968. And yet, 54 years later, the trope persists. People who've never seen the show and, I'll wager, a few who don't even know where it came from keep using it. (It came up this morning with a [thirty something?] woman at work who uses it but has never seen the show.)

* For any few who may not know**, the trope comes from a 1960s Batman action/comedy TV show. The show stared Adam West (1928 -2017) as Bruce Wayne/Batman, Burt Ward (1945 - ) as Dick Grayson/Robin, four or five (depending on season) other regular characters, and a plethora of famous guest stars in one-off or recurring roles or cameos. The action was contrived and simplistic, with its appeal limited to children. The comedy came from the shows campiness, which included the very contrivance of the action and over-the-top acting. The trope is from statements often made by Robin of that form, or more often "Holy <fill in the blank>, Batman, it's <an obvious observation>!" sometimes forming a cheesy pun. Wards presentation was particularly over-the-top, and is often lambasted as beyond that into simply bad. "Holy bad acting, Batman, it's Burt Ward!"

** OK, maybe that summary wasn't necessary here. With the large number of BARs here, we do seem to skew old.
------------------------
EDIT: Holy software shortcomings, Batman, I can't edit the poll choices to fix errors!

It was "Must See TV", before that term was even a thing.

Get off the school bus, run to the house, pour some milk, stir in some Nestle Quik, grab a handful of Chips Ahoy! and sit on the floor in front of the TV.

I remember when TV Guide came out with Batman on the cover... Mom knew how much I loved the show and we drove all over town looking for a copy that had it. All over town, back then, meant going to 2 stores ;)

Batman TV Guide 1966.jpg

There was one episode I vaguely remember, where they (Batman & Robin) were tied up.. and I thought:
Why can't they break out of those bonds.. They look soooo weak & that knot is barely a knot.. and it's only one rope securing them... loosely tied around them...

Julie Newmar anyone?! aka Cat Woman
I am not knocking, will never knock, the other two (including the movie) but to me Julie Newmar is the cat woman. Julie Newmar Yvonne Craig girl fight? Yes, please. (Now if only we could work in Dianna Rigg.)

Say, is she (the character) the reason that it's called a "cat suit"?

Last edited:
Loved this show as a kid. Looking back now with a slightly jaded attitude, and the times being what they were, I think the writers were having a party coming up with the most subversive, psychedelic s___ they could get away with and call it "camp". That said I will always stop down to watch any episode with Frank Gorshin's Riddler. He was playin' it straight and scary. ;)

1644419558040.png

I am not knocking, will never knock, the other two (including the movie) but to me Julie Newmar is the cat woman. Julie Newmar Yvonne Craig girl fight? Yes, please. (Now if only we could work in Dianna Rigg.)

Say, is she (the character) the reason that it's called a "cat suit"?
Good question, and I looked it up. (And, being fond of the garment, especially when made from a rubbery tree sap material :D )

Seems the term originated in 1955 - 1960, due to it's 'cat like' slinkiness.

=> The name "catsuit" is attributed only since about 1955 or 1960.[2][3] Originally, they were called bodysuits. The origin of the name is unknown; it may refer to a slinky, catlike aspect given the wearer by some versions.[4] It may also relate to the association with superhero Catwoman whose costume from the 1950's onward is a modified catsuit. [5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catsuit

My preferred 'cat woman' was Anne Hathaway..
I did NOT care for either Halle Berry or Michelle Pfeifer in the role..

Now, what if it rains? do they pop out umbrellas? Or do they drive fast enough that the rain just flows over them?!

And, in a crime plagued city like Gotham (NY in teh late 60's).. didn't they worry about it getting stolen?! or at least vandalized?!

Now, what if it rains? do they pop out umbrellas? Or do they drive fast enough that the rain just flows over them?!

And, in a crime plagued city like Gotham (NY in teh late 60's).. didn't they worry about it getting stolen?! or at least vandalized?!
Bat-umbrellas. Or thay raise the convertible bat-roof. The car undoubtedly has a bat-antitheft system.

Recently I heard a DC writer explain the Gotham City is New York by night and Metropolis is New York by day.

In elementary school we called the theme the "doo-doo" song.
Batman! doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Batman! doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
The guy who wrote the lyrics must have been up many nights thinking up that one.
😁
First album I ever got... the Batman theme, I was about 9. There were other songs on the album, but I don't think I bothered to listen to them.

Recently I heard a DC writer explain the Gotham City is New York by night and Metropolis is New York by day.

Yeah, but after Crisis in Infinite Earths, didn't NYC, Metropolis, and Gotham merge and become the same city?

didn't they worry about it getting stolen?!
I believe they had an anti theft system in place, which consisted of a fake Start Engine label placed over the ejector seat button. Someone who tried to steal it found themselves a few feet away knowing not to push that button anymore - problem solved!

Bat-umbrellas. Or thay raise the convertible bat-roof. The car undoubtedly has a bat-antitheft system.

I've always been told that Superman was set in NYC but Batman was set in Chicago.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
A far better Batman series was the animated show that ran from '92-onwards over the course of four seasons.
Oddly enough it was on an episode of this show that Harley Quinn first appeared; and the rest, as they say, is history.
There was a cool tribute to the old series in an episode of that one. There was a "mad bomber" type villain in town. Bruce remembered the MO from an episode of a TV show he loved as a kid called The Grey Ghost. But he'd fallen asleep during that one and didn't know how it turned out. All of the film copies had been lost or destroyed, so he tracked down the actor who'd played the Grey Ghost to ask. And yes, the actor was voiced by Adam West. And he put the suit on to assist in apprehending the villain.

I've always been told that Superman was set in NYC but Batman was set in Chicago.
I thought Central City is Chicago. Hence the name.

Back