Holverson (Fun) Zoomie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
My Zoomie is a rocket I don't care for very much. It has never flown well or glided well. I have tried numerous repairs and trimming strategies but it still likes to tumble like a brick.

My most recent repair and innovation involved drilling a hole just abaft of the nosecone to vent some of the ejection charge. That seems to have cut down on the wear and tear on the rocket but it still glides like a brick.

This a rocket I would not mind losing but, like a bad penny, it keeps finding its way home. When it does, I try to pretend like I care for it, put it away and then find some excuse to bring it back out again.

Yesterday, a young lady came to my club launch with me. She saw it and wanted to see it fly. I acquiessed and again, it glided like a brick...but a little better than before.

The reputed flight can be seen here: https://flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3283457780/

zoomie-f1a.jpg

Last edited:
Is this the foam version, John? If so, you can download the instructions and templates for the balsa version (which flies a LOT better from what I understand) at YORS.

Is this the foam version, John? If so, you can download the instructions and templates for the balsa version (which flies a LOT better from what I understand) at YORS.

Yes, it is the foam version. I do have the plans from YORS but have done nothing about it yet. So much to do and so little time!

Quick and dirty version would change the lines a little, but should still work fine - You could always kitbash an Estes 220 Swift into a Zoomie. The Mosquito nose cone would be more accurate, but a bit harder to come by.

I find myself wondering how well it would boost on a Micromaxx motor. Have to build one and weigh it.

Quick and dirty version would change the lines a little, but should still work fine - You could always kitbash an Estes 220 Swift into a Zoomie. The Mosquito nose cone would be more accurate, but a bit harder to come by.

I find myself wondering how well it would boost on a Micromaxx motor. Have to build one and weigh it.

Isn't the Starlight Sparrow a Zoomie clone?

A guy had one at my club launch on Saturday and it seemed to do preety well, even with the wind.

Stus sparrow 2.jpg

i purchased hundreds of zoomies and other fun rocket rockets off ebay a few years back (sold them all now). i have had a few good flights with the Zoomie, although my last few flights have had the nose cones blown off - never to be found.
the Zoomie seems to work best on low power motors such as a 1/4 A, a full a seemed too much, and she rarely gave a straight boost on an A10.

still - the zoomie was not the worst rocket that Fun rockets cloned - the swinger was terrible.

i purchased hundreds of zoomies and other fun rocket rockets off ebay a few years back (sold them all now). i have had a few good flights with the Zoomie, although my last few flights have had the nose cones blown off - never to be found.
the Zoomie seems to work best on low power motors such as a 1/4 A, a full a seemed too much, and she rarely gave a straight boost on an A10.

still - the zoomie was not the worst rocket that Fun rockets cloned - the swinger was terrible.

I was getting lots of damage to the BT and NC from the ejection charges. My last round of repairs involved reinforcing the tube with some CA and drilling a vent hole just behind the NC. The current nose now has three flights to its credit, a new record.

A guy had one at my club launch on Saturday and it seemed to do preety well, even with the wind.
Love your paint job. Zoomie is a mini motor rocket and Sparrow is 18mm.
I got the rights for the Holverson kits and the Zoomie and Silver Hawk are the first up. They will be the balsa versions. Watch for it this summer.
For you folks that cant hold out that long we are selling skeeter clone parts kits for $1.50 (direct only at [email protected]) plus shipping till mid March. And see Jim Z for the instructions. Make the wings and then you got the Zoomie
Mr. Bob
Starlightville
www.starlightrocketry.com

I got the rights for the Holverson kits and the Zoomie and Silver Hawk are the first up. They will be the balsa versions. Watch for it this summer.
For you folks that cant hold out that long we are selling skeeter clone parts kits for $1.50 (direct only at [email protected]) plus shipping till mid March. And see Jim Z for the instructions. Make the wings and then you got the Zoomie
Mr. Bob
Starlightville

Thanks for the clarification.

Stu Young got his Sparrow (the one in the photo) as an early Christmas gift and used it in our rocket glider competition in Dec. He did well with it.

Mr. Starlight? Sign me up for at least one of your Silver Hawks, please.

Currently putting the finishing touches on my Der Red Sparrow and was going to do a Silver Hawk from scratch.

With any luck I will have a few pre production kits at the NSL and will get the fancy header cards, photos filling distributors ect so those should be out in late June or so. It takes a while to develop and produce new kits when you produce thousands (yes as in 1,000+) every month or so.
Mr. Bob

My Silver Hawk disappeared into a tree and my Zoomie power looped into the pavement on it's first flight. I'll be watching the website.

Mr. Bob
Starlightville

good to see the return of the Balsa versions, the foam was just terrible - are there any plans for a balsa swinger, having destroyed several foam versions i'd like to have a go with one that might last more than one flight

Got the pix on the website. Thanks. Yes we will bring others out as time go's by. I'm trying to figure out how to bring out the wicked Winnie in balsa where the cost won't be outrageous. Balsa nose cone, bulk head, and boat tail = money. Add the packaging and distributor discount (which has to be big enought to give the dealers a discount). I don't see much of a market for a $30.00 W.W. I think I got that figured out but you will just have to see.
Mr. Bob

Back